LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how difficult?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how difficult?????

hey ive done headers on my ls1 car but now my neighbor wants to do headers on his LT1 car and i looked at it and it looks like a strait up ****. what do yall think, the ls1 headers were a **** but that just looks like a nightmare........... how difficult is it?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Its not that bad... I helped a couple friends do header installs on their LS1s and it was definitely easier, but the LT1s are not that hard either. I think I ended up removing the steering linkage, traction control motor, oil dipstick, passenger valve cover, alternator, and probably a few other things I missed.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have a set of SLP headers I put on mine, after looking back it was quite hard for someone with no patience. I can tell you this, for sure, take the off the starter, alternator, both valve covers, and oil filter. Then, if you haven't pulled your hair out yet, take one motor mount bolt out, so you can put a jack under the oil pan with a little block of wood to protect it, and slightly jack up on it to make the motor lean to one side. This is especially good if you have worn out motor mounts. You will open up a hell of alot of room this way, like a good inch or so extra, it's well worth the trouble of taking out one motor mount bolt. After you get one side in, put that motor mount bolt back in and repeat on the other side. I didn't have to take my steering shaft out. The hardest side to do was the passenger side. And please, just make a block off plate for the EGR, and do away with the air pump. I took mine off and it never even tripped a check engine light.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Removing a motor mount bolt is possibly the best piece of advice in doing this. It's a nightmare without giving yourself that extra clearance.

Quick Reply: how difficult?????