Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shift Selector Assembly/Rail Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Selector Assembly/Rail Pics

Does anyone have pics of the shift selector assembly and the way it fits together with the rail?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

LJ has them on his page:

http://para.noid.org/~lj/T56/T56.htm

If I hadn't sealed mine up last night, I coulda snapped some as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Good call. I've seen those, but it just looks like a black box to me. How does the rail/ssa mix? I can't tell from the outside pics what's going on underneath them.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a pic. Your goal is to line up all of the "slots" of the 4 flat pieces (the black parts for the 1-2 and 3-4 forks, and then the bronze colored 5-6 and R parts).

Assuming you've got the trans flat on its face, with the top of the tranny being the 'center' for left/right reference... I line up the 1-2 and 3-4 flat pieces to the left of the round selector dowel, and then I swing the 5-6 and R flat pieces to the right of the round selector dowel. I then put the case on, and use a flashlight and line up the rail bolts. Most of the time I have to slightly lift the 5-6 / R shift rail assembly to get the rail bolt slots to line up.
Attached Thumbnails Shift Selector Assembly/Rail Pics-ss1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

And the flat parts are the shift links? And these direct motion to the forks? Awesome pics btw, thanks a whole lot.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the flat parts all link to shift forks. You have the 2 black ones that go to the 1-2 and 3-4 forks, and then the bronze ones that go to 5-6 and R.

Here's another view of how it's kinda put together (but with only 1 black piece, as I couldn't find the other one - I have a junk parts trans out in my shop).

This is probably the worst part of the trans. The first time I did it, it took me about a half dozen times before I got it right. But after you understand how the little dowel selects each of the gears (push one direction, it selects that fork... push the other, it goes in the other gear... slide it laterally across the forks, it's in neutral).
Attached Thumbnails Shift Selector Assembly/Rail Pics-ss2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Beautiful pics. That's clarity I haven't gotten to see so far. I'm not 100% sure on how it works...I'd have to see it to get how it operates probably. Great pics though. Thanks Cholic.

Quick Reply: Shift Selector Assembly/Rail Pics