General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Having my first LS1 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having my first LS1 problems

Well, I took a friend out to do some burnouts tonight and my car wouldnt spin the tires
Afterwards there was a funny smell both of us noticed, I have no clue whats going on with it. I've noticed since I bought it, it always seemed to have a problem transferring power.....always seems like I constantly have to keep on the gas and theres also a slight humming sound when I give it gas. I thought the humming was probably just the intake though or maybe the air pump.
Any advice or input is much appreciated guys! Whats the best way for me to get it fixed without wasting my money.
Can you guys point me in the right direction as far as problems to suggest to mechanics instead of shooting blanks at them? haha thanks!
I wonder if its a Tranny or Rear end problem.....by the way I bought the car with 46k on it and its completely stock. It now has 49k on it.
.....OH! and it seems like when I try to burnout, feels like the TCS is on....but its off, tires just slip for a sec and I launch right away.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

M6?

sounds like the clutch is trashed.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Actually its an A4, sorry!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

a funny smell huh? know what a burnt clutch smells like? might be your [roblem since u got the "funny smell"
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Launching!

ummm I dont have one of those haha.....A4
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever checked the trans fluid?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

you wouldn't think it would be the torque converter slipping do you?. i think it might be time to change fluid and filter.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car did that last year.Turned out to be injectors.One side was way lean and causing knock,so timing was being pulled.Not sure if its your problem,but it could be something causing knock and pulling timing.That with torque managment will definitely make you car do what its doing.

Its hard to trouble shoot without having the software to do it.You might want to even take it to a dealership and have them data log it if they can.Better than shooting in the dark.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

what does the tranny fluid look like when you pull the dipstick? does it smell funny? if you know anybody with a scanner, check the PDM for codes. itseems like the low/reverse clutch is going south, or the torque converter. just a guess though.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

You know, I cant put my finger on this one at all.......took the T/A out yesterday and it spun the tires like wild. The tranny fluid is fine, nice and full with no smell....that was the first thing I had done when I bought it. Oil filter, oil change, fuel filter, tranny flush. The oil is really low for just changing it a few thousand miles ago though. I wonder if I have a leak.
Anyways, I changed all the fluids because it seemed like I was having to crowd the gas pedal to get power to the wheels. My fuel filter was NASTY too, I wasnt getting good flow. But, thats been fixed and I just cant figure this out.
Do you guys get a slight humming sound when you lightly press on the gas, while cruising around??? It just seems to me like something is preventing power.....I'm gonna take it in.
I noticed someone had a "gas pedal slack mod" done in here, anyone else heard of that? Could that change the slack that I feel???
Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the ASR fuse and see what happens. Maybe there's some intermmittent goofiness going on with your ASR.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Teching In

98Trans..ummm I dont have one of those haha.....A4.

No Clutches in a A4? Well I believe there is clutches in a 4l60. Maybe the ones they call clutch packs! Any particular gear changes giving you problems?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Trans
You know, I cant put my finger on this one at all.......took the T/A out yesterday and it spun the tires like wild. The tranny fluid is fine, nice and full with no smell....that was the first thing I had done when I bought it. Oil filter, oil change, fuel filter, tranny flush. The oil is really low for just changing it a few thousand miles ago though. I wonder if I have a leak.
Anyways, I changed all the fluids because it seemed like I was having to crowd the gas pedal to get power to the wheels. My fuel filter was NASTY too, I wasnt getting good flow. But, thats been fixed and I just cant figure this out.
Do you guys get a slight humming sound when you lightly press on the gas, while cruising around??? It just seems to me like something is preventing power.....I'm gonna take it in.
I noticed someone had a "gas pedal slack mod" done in here, anyone else heard of that? Could that change the slack that I feel???
Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated!
What I said above and what your car is doing sounds almost exactly like the problem I had.Some times it would have all the power sometimes it wouldnt.I would just get it checked out.I think its pulling timing somewhere.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Yea, I'm gonna get it checked out man and thanks for your input!
You know what though, this is kind of stupid of me.......I noticed when I'm alone in my car and I just slam the gas to the floor, it goes wild.
But, when a passenger is present it wont spin the tires.....is this true for you guys as well??? I have to power brake when I have a passenger with me.
So, maybe that was the deal with burning out..........but I still seem to have a power loss somewhere in my opinion, thanks a lot guys!!!!
....And if you want to get technical with it, I guess I do have a clutch pack lol!