Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changed gears, bearings, and still have a noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed gears, bearings, and still have a noise

Ok, so the reason I had my rear-end looked at is because it was making a low whirrrrrrr noise, not a howl, not a grind, but a whirrr. Supossedly a bearing went bad and so did the gears. So I had the 2.73s replaced with AAM 3.73s and new bearings. Well, after a few days, maybe I didnt notice it at first, it still makes the exact same noise. No different even with all that new hardware out back. Could it be something else? It is louder when you touch the gas than coasting. What gives?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. Please help!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Is it constant or does it only happen right after you take off?

Have you checked axles, wheel bearings, brakes?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is constant and gets higher pitched the faster you go. It only makes the noise when the wheels are moving. I just jacked up the rear and spun the wheels to listen for sounds. I noticed that the right rear wheel seems to have some friction at a certain spot in the rotation. It sounds like a rotor grinding (metal/metal) sound, but only in one spot. Also, the drive shaft sqweeks constatly as the weels are turned where the drive shaft meets the transmition. I dont know which one it could be. It doesn't sound like anything from the differential thank god. But what could it be?