General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pinion Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Seal

What all is needed for a pinion seal change on a 99 t/a? Just want to get everything together before I tackle the job. Should I change all the fluid? If so I am just curious on what is needed to do the complete job. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now this isn't the "proper" way, but lots of people do it this way. You're 'supposed' to install a new crush bearing, check the preload...all that fun stuff. I've always done it this way and never had a problem, but if you screw it up I take no responsibility!! It's really not hard at all, just take your time.

The only parts you need is rear diff fluid and a new seal. Unbolt the driveshaft. Now before you remove the pinion nut you neet to mark EXACTLY where the nut is tightened down on the pinion so you know where to tighten it back to. I do this with a dremel and a cutoff wheel....just cut a small line (just enough to see, don't gouge the thing!) across the pinion nut and end of the pinion so you can see where to tighten it back to. Also make a mark on the yoke and case of the rearend so you can line those back up as well. Remove the pinion nut and pull the yoke off. Pry out the old seal, lube up the new one and tap it in place. Put the yoke back on and line up your marks on the yoke and rearend case. Start the pinion nut and tighten it until you get your marks lined back up (do this by hand, not an impact!). Once your marks line up, it should be exactly where it was before you touched it. Make sense? You should also change your diff fluid while your down there.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

I believe that's how I've seen it done before. However, I never saw the person make any markings to reset it back to. Is that very important?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, very important....that's the only way you can do it w/out removing the whole carrier and replacing the crush sleeve. Doing so maintains the proper preload on the pinion.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Ahhh, I see. Well thanks for all the help.