Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Break in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in?

So I'm getting my car back tonight (finally! haha)
4.10's installed.

My questions is, should I go pretty easy on it for like 50 miles or so, or should I do a few heat cycles before driving it, or will it be okay without a "break-in" period?

Not to say I;m gonna pull out the the bay and start doing burnouts and donuts, but what procedures should I follow before getting on it a bit to see how big of a difference it made?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should call the manufacturer, they all tell you different things. In general what you will see them instructing you to do is to drive it, accelerating & decelerating (but not too aggressively), park it and let it cool completely, then drive again. Some say to take it easy for 500 miles.

But hell I drove mine right from the shop to the track.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Mine are motive gears, I'm just going to take it easy and not romp on it for awhile
I have to drive about 50 miles later tonight sooo we'll see!

Bout to go pick it up right now (pretty excited after waiting a week! the shops supplier sent them the wrong gears for my carrier, and they didn't realize it till they had it apart, I don't blame the shop at all, good guys n I love em)
Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

you want to heat cycle them, nice driving getting them warm or hot then let cool
I did the 500 miles like this but maybe over kill
Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pontiac
I did the 500 miles like this but maybe over kill
Its it over kill..... or would you rather drop the cash the second time around from not doing it ??

Out of the couple of thousand differential I have built over the years, I was able to tell....... everytime...... when someone did not follow the brake in procedure. And you guessed it, they spent the money twice..... everytime.

I have always recommended that the client drive the car 20-30 miles or so and then let it cool down to ambient temperatures...... 6 to 8 cycle times, before they go and beat the hell out of it like they stole it. This normally works out for most clients as they would drive it to work, let it cool and then drive it home. There are two cycles right there, in one single day. So after a week of work, it would pretty much be ready for the weekend thrash at the races.

Just remember this, right before you nail it....... ask yourself if you are willing to pay for it twice, before you do.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read somewhere about jacking it up on stands and letting the car idle in gear for awhile (don't remeber time frame) but whoever said it could probably chime up. Pretty sure it was a sponsor. Sorry for the little info, but you could at least research it if you are interested.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 777
I read somewhere about jacking it up on stands and letting the car idle in gear for awhile (don't remeber time frame) but whoever said it could probably chime up. Pretty sure it was a sponsor. Sorry for the little info, but you could at least research it if you are interested.
You mean put it in gear and let it freewheel? Moser suggests this for the new 12 bolt I bought. I did 5 minutes in a forward gear and 5 minutes in reverse on jackstands, with my foot off the pedals letting it freewheel.