Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Motor swap have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor swap have questions

Hey guys, I am swapping out my tired 346 for a ls2 402 next month. I am hoping to put down over 500rwhp which shouldn't be that hard with this new setup. My questions is what all should I do to my tranny while I have it out? I am thinking pilot bearing, new slave cylinder and balance the flywheel and clutch together. I there anything that I am missing or must do's while I have the transmission out?

Also I have a Fidanza 12lb aluminum flywheel with a Spec 3. Should I keep that with this setup or should I go with a steel flywheel. I will be using this car as a street terror that will only see the track a few times a year. I want to shoot for 10's at the track but keep the car primarily setup for the street. Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have a Fidanza and love it, but I also don't drag that much. The general opinion is the lighter the flywheel the more likely you are to bog out on a launch. I have yet to have a problem getting off the line, but you do have to be a little quicker on the pedals.

Definitely do all the stuff you've got listed, maybe consider U-Joints while you have the drive shaft out. Depending on the mileage on the trans it might not be a bad idea to have it popped open and inspected, especially if you're having any shift issues. Running the higher HP would make it a good candidate for beefed up synchros, and if you shift hard regularly you might want to consider steel shift forks as the stock aluminum ones have a tendency to bend. Either way make sure you take it to some place that knows the T56 and has worked on them before. I'd talk to t56rebuilds.com. They seem to know their stuff and from what I've heard they're reasonably priced (not to mention they're a sponsor).