Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Slap or Lifter Tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Slap or Lifter Tick

Well I finally got around to taking a video of the noise I hear everytime I start my car .

Now when I uploaded it on to this site, you can't really hear the noise anymore. But on Quicktime you can hear it perfectly.

here's the link to the video

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/0CFB4...3AC75D4006.htm

about 2 mins into the vid if you listen closely that's what I hear, it's really loud, and lasts like a good 10 mins or so and then finnally goes away leaving just a little sound what you would have to REALLLY listen for.

What would it be?

Also when I give it some gas and let go you can here it speed up then drop back to it's normal sound , and other times you give it gas it does the noise again but when dropping back down to normal idle it's not even there anymore., but then shortly after comes back.

Last edited by KevsLS1; 04-03-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

well if it goes away ...id say its piston slap... but i could be wrong
Old 04-04-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

nice paint too btw
Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could hear it a lot better if the hood was open I'd say that's lifter tick. Mine had it/has it again now.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anthonyz281999
well if it goes away ...id say its piston slap... but i could be wrong

Piston slap SHOULD go away after the first 45 seconds to 2 minutes of run time according to several GM engineers I talked to up in Detroit when I was there for NAIAS. I'd say you are probably looking at a little lifter tick. If it goes away its probably a lifter on its way out, but is holding on for dear life for you.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

What is piston slap? What is lifter tick? Sorry, I'm new....
Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Piston slap is a tapping noise on cold starts on the lsX based engine due to loose tolerances. When they heat up the tolerances are right and it no longer ticks.

Lifter tick is when your lifters are about to crap out and they tap no matter what. However it could be a variety of things like incorrect pre-load, loose lifters, broken springs, etc...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Piston slap has less to do w/ tolerances than people thing accordin to the engineers I talked to. What GM did w/ the LS based motors to help w/ eeking out every available hp they could, is to actually shrink the skirt on the piston. Its hard to explain in writing, but by shrinkin the skirt and making the piston shorter, you effectively reduce the amount of friction area. But by reducing total piston height, you allow more "wobble" possibilities. Piston slap is that wobble. The piston wobbles in the cylinder until it warms up to appropriate tempreature. There isn't actually any difference in tolerances between the LS motors and previous motors. Combined w/ the shrunken piston skirt, you also have in use an alloy that has more expansion characteristics. There is nothing wrong w/ the piston slap unless you abuse the car while its doing it. Engineers said they have tested motors for 500k miles w/ no detrimental wear from the piston slap issues on these motors.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would consider anything that could "wobble" to be a loose tolerance just like I said. When it heats up the tolerance get's smaller. Unless I'm just using tolerance in a different context than what you thought I was meaning it as.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Launching!

I wish I could physically show what I mean. I may have to go into paint and draw what I'm referring to. every piston "wobbles" in the cylinder to a certain extent. Rock if you want to call it that. The LS based pistons are shorter, thus even w/ the same tolerances (piston to call clearance) as a taller piston, which they have to have due to expansion characteristics, you will have more rock until expansion is complete due to less surface area able to contact. Think of putting one smaller glass into a bigger one. Rock the smaller glass inside the larger one. Now take an identically wide glass as the smaller one, but short, and do the same thing inside the larger glass. You will notice the shorter one rocks more, even though the tolerances are exactly the same.

We are probably just thinking about two similar, but different definitions.

I just get sick of people bitching about a "problem" thats really not a problem to begin with. GM has studied the situation, and stated its nothing to worry with.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Ohh yay looks like engine work for me at 677 miles
Old 04-04-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fenster
I wish I could physically show what I mean. I may have to go into paint and draw what I'm referring to. every piston "wobbles" in the cylinder to a certain extent. Rock if you want to call it that. The LS based pistons are shorter, thus even w/ the same tolerances (piston to call clearance) as a taller piston, which they have to have due to expansion characteristics, you will have more rock until expansion is complete due to less surface area able to contact. Think of putting one smaller glass into a bigger one. Rock the smaller glass inside the larger one. Now take an identically wide glass as the smaller one, but short, and do the same thing inside the larger glass. You will notice the shorter one rocks more, even though the tolerances are exactly the same.

We are probably just thinking about two similar, but different definitions.

I just get sick of people bitching about a "problem" thats really not a problem to begin with. GM has studied the situation, and stated its nothing to worry with.
We are thinking of the same thing. I understand you.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

So if my Z28 doesn't have any ticking at all...even on cold starts, that's a really good thing right?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

**** it! Drive it till it blows then worry about it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z-Convert
**** it! Drive it till it blows then worry about it.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SailorZ28
So if my Z28 doesn't have any ticking at all...even on cold starts, that's a really good thing right?
It doesn't really matter. Piston slap isn't bad. It's not a problem. It's just part of the engine.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mMne makes the exact same sound. After it warms up you can barely here it unless you get under car or bring the rpm's up. From what i have read the piston slap should go away once the engine up to temp. I have the extended warranty so i plan on taking to the dealer sometime soon and have listen to it since it seems to be getting worse. btw I only have 25,000 miles on the car.
I'll post what i find out.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Launching!

That would be greatly appreciated THANKS!.

I went to the dealership and they put in an additive called "lubricity" well I've put on about 100 miles and it still ticks , I still have warranty but they say drive it around more . I'm quite ticked the car has only 841 miles now.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KevsLS1
That would be greatly appreciated THANKS!.

I went to the dealership and they put in an additive called "lubricity" well I've put on about 100 miles and it still ticks , I still have warranty but they say drive it around more . I'm quite ticked the car has only 841 miles now.
Hmmmm..Some sort of additive?I dunno about that.Maybe try a different dealer if there is another around your area.

My car always sounds "ticky/tappy" when cold and goes away once warmed..This is my 3rd LS1 and they have all done it..One of which was bought new in 98'.

800+???Is that the actual milage on your TA??If so...AWESOME!Should post some more vids or pics at least...

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

maybe this is your cars' way of saying drive me with only 800 miles...sounds like piston slap to me. Good oil pressure? Good power? Get it scanned and check the pushrods. Start with small troubleshooting for a tick. Check all plug wires to make sure they are on tight. Make sure no air check valves are bad. Make sure no exhaust leaks. All of these can make a tick or tap. Use the damn search button on this board for tick and it will provide you some ideas on where to start looking.

Quick Reply: Piston Slap or Lifter Tick