General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing brake pads

So I put on some new brake pads today, and I've never done it myself before. Wasn't too hard to figure out, but I've got a question.

The two bolts that hold the caliper on, are they supposed to be be tight? The little thing that the bolts screw into is surrounded by rubber, and rotates. So there doesn't seem to be any way that I could figure out to get the bolts tight. I tried using some pliers to hold it still, but the rubber kinda got in the way not to mention I don't think the pliers would have done the trick anyway.

Do they need to be tight? Or is this normal? If they need to be tight, how do I do that?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, They need to be tight. There is a metal thing by the rubber that has a place to fit a wrench in there so you can tighten them. Use the box end of a wrench to hold it. I think it was a 12mm but its been forever since i did it so i could be wrong.

Try This it has a pretty good pic.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TtamNedlog
So I put on some new brake pads today, and I've never done it myself before. Wasn't too hard to figure out, but I've got a question.

The two bolts that hold the caliper on, are they supposed to be be tight? The little thing that the bolts screw into is surrounded by rubber, and rotates. So there doesn't seem to be any way that I could figure out to get the bolts tight. I tried using some pliers to hold it still, but the rubber kinda got in the way not to mention I don't think the pliers would have done the trick anyway.

Do they need to be tight? Or is this normal? If they need to be tight, how do I do that?
Use a 16 MM open end wrench for the flats of the pin along with a 12 MM wrench for the bolt on the front. Rears are 16MM for the flats of the pin and 15 MM for the bolt. (At least for the '02 year)
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a ton guys. =)
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

their is a torque spec on them too, thinking it is 23 ft lbs, check the torque spec sticky or pm me I dig into my book.