LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

runs better when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runs better when cold

I have 95 TA with no cat,cai and tb bypass.When you first crank the motor it has great throttle response and runs strong but after it hits operating temp it loses some response and a little power.Is this normal or is it running rich or lean after closed loop?It seems a little rich.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

This is not normal because it should run even stronger in closed loop as their is a more accurate reading of what is going on in the engine. When the car is in open loop it used pre determined values that are programmed in and the sensors as many of them take time to heat up. Is the car throwing and codes? To me it sounds like either a bad sensor some ware that’s not reading correctly or for some reason the tuning is off. I have the same mods as you though and my stock tuning is fine. Is their any way this could be in your head? How hot is it getting, mabey its getting too hot causeing heat soak robbing some hp? These are some questions i would look into. hope this helped a bit.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Launching!

I'm not talking extreme heat just operating temp.As far as my head goes I tested it with my freinds SS.When cold I pulled him in every gear,but when it warmed up we were almost even.It is not throwing any codes,I do think something has been done to the ecu because there is no rev limiter,I think all came with rev limiter but not for sure.The car still runs real strong when warm just I want it to run the same cold or hot.I dont think it should change the way it runs just because the engine gets a normal amount of heat in it.Thanks for in the info

Quick Reply: runs better when cold