Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Busted 10 bolt.. abt. 3000mi since cartek put 4.11's in it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted 10 bolt.. abt. 3000mi since cartek put 4.11's in it

i had the car out.. heard a horrible gring coming into my buddies driveway.. after that it ground 2 more times on the way to my house (just a few blocks). all the grings happened at low speeds <10mph, and the second one definately happened as i was going over a couple bumps..

i pulled the cover and can clearly see chatter marks on the ring gear.. im basically sure that the pinion gear is 'backing out', (towards the driveshart), and then thats when the grinding happens..

i called cartek and they said 'yea 10 bolts are problematic..' and thats it.

ive never personally built a rear, but ive been told that the only way that pinion could back out like that and allow the gears to grind is if it was not properly shimmed....

just wondering if any of you guys have an opinion.. im going to get a 12 bolt, but wont have the money for months....

thanks guys-
Old 04-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like something is not installed correctly

is the pinion nut tight?
Old 04-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldent tell ya.. all i did was take the cover off and look.. im not gonna get started until next weekend.. ill disconnect the driveshaft and see.. if the nut is loose.. that means that the pinion would be able to slide further into the rear (correct?),. the shims provide spacing to set how far the pinion goes 'down into the ring' (i dont know im asking..)

its not my daily driver i only use it fri-sun.. i drive it hard of course but dont like do anything abnormally cruel to the rear.. i just checked my mileage, and its been more like 4000 miles... the gear oil looked like new when i took the cover off, there were some (like 5) small metal shavings on the magnet...

do u think i could just get the pinion where in needs to be (reshim it, if shims do what i think they do).. tighten it up, and still drive it for a while just because theres no reason not to, its better than nothing. i dont think the chatter marks on the ring gear are bad enough to really weaken it. its hard to describe how deep the marks are.. its like the edges of the ring gear's teeth are just slightly rounded off..

thanks alot