Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY Emmissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Default NY Emmissions

I am looking to put lt headers with cats on my car.The only thing stopping me is if i can pass emmissions.I know you can have the rear O2's deleted in tuning.Where i am(orange county)they do OBD II testing.A friend of mine had to replace his O2 sensor on his truck and had the light reset.But when he went for inspection they failed him for system not ready.They told him to drive a 150 miles and come back.On the the failed inspection they give you 10 days to come back or your registration is suspended.I just want to make sure when you tune out the rear O2's that when it is inspected it doesn't say system not ready.Sorry for the long thread just want to make sure before i spend the money on the lt headers.Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by gagliano7; 04-13-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well....i put pacesetter lts and ory w/ cats on my car along with some other mods and got rid of the egr and im pretty sure its still emissions safe....the only thing they told me from NY is that you have to have no trouble codes with the OBD II scan....as for the wideband they use and the smog machine i think they did away with that for the cars made after 95
Old 04-13-2006, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

i pass NY inspection with no problems..look at my sig... i have some non emission friendly mods..
Old 04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

When i was in NY and got inspected a few months ago, they just check for thrown codes and some places will actually do a visual. To get the computer to be ready, you need to go through a few full cycles which means from completely cold start to warm up and driving around. Give it a good 2-3 days of normal driving and it soulld be ready.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I am looking to put lt headers with cats on my car.The only thing stopping me is if i can pass emmissions.I know you can have the rear O2's deleted in tuning.Where i am(orange county)they do OBD II testing.A friend of mine had to replace his O2 sensor on his truck and had the light reset.But when he went for inspection they failed him for system not ready.They told him to drive a 150 miles and come back.On the the failed inspection they give you 10 days to come back or your registration is suspended.I just want to make sure when you tune out the rear O2's that when it is inspected it doesn't say system not ready.Sorry for the long thread just want to make sure before i spend the money on the lt headers.Thanks guys!!!
I'm across the river from you, and with an Edit tune I had no problems passing OBDII test last year.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Mr. Gagliano, is your gto parked at the gas station by shoprite in west milford?

Once your inspection is due I would go to sarki's in sloatsburg. He is pretty lenient with everything as long as your cel isnt on. He is a friendly old fella, every other garage in our area will go over your car with a magnifying glass and be a dick about it.

BTW are you related to the guys near the airport?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by trickie
Mr. Gagliano, is your gto parked at the gas station by shoprite in west milford?

Once your inspection is due I would go to sarki's in sloatsburg. He is pretty lenient with everything as long as your cel isnt on. He is a friendly old fella, every other garage in our area will go over your car with a magnifying glass and be a dick about it.

BTW are you related to the guys near the airport?
No thats not my car.I will have to check out sarki's thanks.
No i am not related to them gagliano isn't my name!!