General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OVER HEATING, bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVER HEATING, bad

Like title says. I have to keep my heater on to keep the car at like 210, if I turn it off and do anything other than like 70mph free way driving. It will over heat. I get a low coolant light everyonce and a while, but wtf, I mean, the coolant's deffinaly full, I just replaced the resivour yesterday and filled it with freash new 50/50 mix, and I checked it today after I noticed this, and it was still full * while hot * I also bleed the system FYI. Whats the matter?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to see if your radiator is flowing, drop the cooling fans when it's hot and feel the surface of the radiator, mine was cool over half of the radiator when it acted like yours. New radiator and no more cooling problems.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Im not exactly sure on how to "drop the fans" explain. I have a 160 stat, and these problems just started occuring after I installed that... shouldn't the car be running cooler?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a bad stat. If you can go back to the stocker, I would try that, just to see if the problem goes away.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have to go to work at five, till midnight, then morning till 4 tomorrow, then monday Im going to start in helping the guy thats gonna do a bunch of body work on my car, looks like this might have to wait untill next weekend Its it hurting my car driving around with the heater on to keep it cool? Could it just be the fans need reprogramed b/c of the stat?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

If you do not reprogram the fans, you will see some of what you are talking about. It will run cooler at highway, and hotter in traffic. But it shouldn't overheat.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

dude, i have the same exact problem / symptoms. I have to blast the heat to keep it from running into the red. And the low coolant light comes on when it starts getting hot. I know it's not leaking, and it's a new radiator, i have the 160 t-stat, and I constantly check the coolant when the car is cool and when it's hot. I even added water wetter...it didn't make much of a difference.

Most of this started after the supercharger install. The twin fans were replaced with a single on the passenger side, but it flows 2600+ cfm. I'm going to take measurements and get a second smaller one for the other side. I don't think it will fix the problem tho. I might try to get at the T-stat tomorrow, i've never messed around with it before, how will i know it's damaged or not functioning properly?

The only time the car runs cool is on the highways or if I'm cuising at 40+mph in 6th gear....I appreaciate the help.

PS: I bleed the system of air last week...could there be more than one bubble?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check the stat, suspend it in a pot of water (so it's covered with water, but not sitting on the bottom of the pot), heat the water, and put a thermostat in the water to monitor the temp, the stat should start to open when the water reaches the temp rating of the stat
Old 04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Launching!

why would you not want it to hit the bottom?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the heating element or flame (depending on gas or electric stove) will make it heat faster, and screw up the results
Old 04-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

oh, well shoot, I preheat the water, then drop it in
thanks for info!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I was talking to the people at the local speed shop and they told me to, while the car was cool, jack the front up, get some jackstands under it, take the cap off the rad, and start the car, and then keep adding 50/50 untill you can't anymore. He said it sounds like I have air in the system.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does sound like you have air in the system, but you said you bleed it so that shouldnt be the issue. Swap the stat back out, don't change it unless your going to re-program the fans.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I bleed it with the bleeder screw on one of the lines, but never got any air out, it was a constant streem the entire time I had the valve open. I have never heard of having the car jacked up in the front to combat that problem.. I want to try that. Manual fan switches will go in soon, so I don't really want to change the stat yet.