Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of tuning myself need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of tuning myself need help

after calling the shops to find out how much it will cost to have my car tuned i am debating buying ls1edit or hp tuners. which one do you prefer and why? and also which one is easier to understand as i have never attempted to tackle something like this. thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Buy it. It is great to have and learn to do. When they dyno tune it they shortcut so much stuff that you should do to get a proper tune like closed loop tuning. It is very self rewarding and eventually you will have a complete understanding of what the PCM is doing. It is well worth it, IMO the best mod I did as of yet. There is so much damn tuning info on this site and if you read it and then ask a few questions you will eventually have it all figured out. It does get addicting though, lol.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

HPT is much more enhanced than ls1 edit. I have ls1 edit and its very basic and doesnt have a very cool looking scanner. HPT is much more enhanced. i got it for really cheap though and it works for me, I just had to do a bit more calculations.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even contemplate LS1 Edit, it's so far out of the game it's not funny

Main two choices now are HP Tuners and EFI Live Flashscan

Both excellent choices

See the sticky "which tuner is best" for more info and doing research on this site and others to see which one you feel would fit you best.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
Don't even contemplate LS1 Edit, it's so far out of the game it's not funny

Main two choices now are HP Tuners and EFI Live Flashscan

Both excellent choices

See the sticky "which tuner is best" for more info and doing research on this site and others to see which one you feel would fit you best.
If you decide to take the plunge do it right & opt for the pro version & get yourself a wideband right off the bat...one way or the other tuning software, imho, is the best mod you can make.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
If you decide to take the plunge do it right & opt for the pro version & get yourself a wideband right off the bat...one way or the other tuning software, imho, is the best mod you can make.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
Why opt for the pro version? I dont really understand why it would help the average enthusiast that will mostly just be tuning their own car?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

I would get hpt it is easier to learn in my opinion plus I like the scanner lay out. I would also buy a wideband it makes things a lot easier than guessing of stock o2s.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by black_z
Why opt for the pro version? I dont really understand why it would help the average enthusiast that will mostly just be tuning their own car?
pro's
you can input readings from a wideband o2 sensor to accuratly tune your a/f ratio to whatever you'd like whereas stock narrowbands are very inaccurate & give you no real sense of what your actual a/f is at.

con's
its $149 extra on top of the $499 non pro version which for many is too much already in their eyes.

but when you look at the big picture this is something that will grow with you rather then you growing out of it...so you throw some headers on ok delete cot verify a/f ratio at wot and your pretty much set....ok now you wanna do a TREX cam only setup ok tune for idle, spark, a/f at wot and your pretty much set...a year later you decide you'd like to throw in a 402 with a big heads/cam setup and 42lb injectors its got you covered. Whereas having to get dyno tune after dyno tune, some with less the favorable results, you can tune it yourself at your leisure...if you put in the time to learn you'll do fine. But there are many people that tried to be cheap up front and are now switching over but having to pay FAR more for it because they didnt opt for it at their initial purchase.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info, I thoguht a wideband was compatible with the standard 499 package.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

idk about HPTuners 499 package..but i do know that EFI live is compatible..the only thing is its 699.

its down to the wire with HPTuners vs EFI LIVE...

its up to your own personal choice which you want. its not which is better or not..cuz if you buy both and compare them i would bet my last dollar you would find very few differences(meaing in tuning tables and options).

EFI live 699 gets you personal scan and tune with 2 licenses (also you can tune 98's for no cost of licenses), free updates for life, FREE Custom operating systems..which allow for speed density and speed density under forced induction...etc.

then again HPTuners has the same stuff as far as i know..it just might not be in there base kit.

if you need help hooking up your wideband with EFI live if you get efi live then let me know...i have been through that much
Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
EFI live 699 gets you personal scan and tune with 2 licenses (also you can tune 98's for no cost of licenses), free updates for life, FREE Custom operating systems..which allow for speed density and speed density under forced induction...etc.
might wanna get to know a product you endorse better...you'd need to buy the $849 commercial version to even be able to do "free custom operating systems"
Old 04-16-2006, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah im in the same position, and im think im gonna go with hpt