Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Pinion Depth gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion Depth gauge

Does anyone have a pinion depth gauge I can borrow? I'm going to be changing the gears in my pickup (to 3.73s) and would prefer to have this tool, but really don't want to have to buy one.

I did read a procedure where you can set the dept by counting the number of threads on the pinion....but that doesn't sound real good to me.

Oh yeah....also which brand of gears should I get? Summit sells Richmond, Motive, or Superior? Any good or bad experience with any of these?

thanks
Derek
Old 04-16-2006, 01:47 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what rear end is that i have my stock 3.42 gears from m 10 bolt you can have for free just pay the shipping to get them here from ny maybe 10-15 bux and also we set the depth using threads on my 4.10 that and going by lash and i have had them for over 2 years and they are still alive and make no noise
Old 04-16-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Does anyone have a pinion depth gauge I can borrow? I'm going to be changing the gears in my pickup (to 3.73s) and would prefer to have this tool, but really don't want to have to buy one.

I did read a procedure where you can set the dept by counting the number of threads on the pinion....but that doesn't sound real good to me.

Oh yeah....also which brand of gears should I get? Summit sells Richmond, Motive, or Superior? Any good or bad experience with any of these?

thanks
Derek
With Fords, you can use factory gears (Ford Motorsports) with the old shims and you are in good shape because the tolerances are correct. If you opt for after-market gears, you must remeasure and re-shim. I don't know if that is true of GM, but I would suspect that it is. The Ford 8.8 in Mustangs is virtually identical to a GM 12 bolt.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no need for that tool.

start with the old shim in the pinion. set up the back lash and se what pattern you have. The chart that came with the gears will tell you what to do from there
Old 04-16-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
no need for that tool.

start with the old shim in the pinion. set up the back lash and se what pattern you have. The chart that came with the gears will tell you what to do from there
Sounds good. When I installed the Posi diff, I just used the same shims, and the pattern was good and I haven't had any issues.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Pinion Depth gauge