Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Drag Racing a 9" Auburn or Trac-Loc Posi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Anybody Drag Racing a 9" Auburn or Trac-Loc Posi?

Well, my Moser 9" is on order with a TrueTrac, but they are out of stock for who-knows-how-long. I'm looking at a replacement option, and a locker is OUT. I'll either be going with a spool, an Auburn or a Trac-Loc limited slip setup.

Obviously the spool is the strongest option, but also the least driveable.

Is anybody drag racing on Auburn or Trac-Loc posi's? I'm an M6 that plans on leaving ~6500rpms. When do these things break? How was/is your experience with them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Not much of a choice, but in our experience we have had better luck with the Trac Loc over the Auburn and Auburn Pro unit. With a 6-speed leaving that hard the Auburn doesn't have a chance.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Auburn sucked in my car. It did not last long at the track at all. I would not waste the money unless you were going to be 85% on the street and 15% on the track.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Restricted User

Why not a locker? I understand if you say due to the noise, I am still learning to "tune" it out. The damn thing launches straight as hell though, and I am sure I wont break it, so the noise I will live with. Just curious.

Charlie
Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Well, my Moser 9" is on order with a TrueTrac, but they are out of stock for who-knows-how-long. I'm looking at a replacement option, and a locker is OUT. I'll either be going with a spool, an Auburn or a Trac-Loc limited slip setup.

Obviously the spool is the strongest option, but also the least driveable.

Is anybody drag racing on Auburn or Trac-Loc posi's? I'm an M6 that plans on leaving ~6500rpms. When do these things break? How was/is your experience with them?

Thanks in advance.
You're planning to launch at 6500 rpm clutch dumps, and want to run a posi I think you are obviously confused about what a posi can handle. You'll toast almost anything aside from a locker or spool at that rpm assuming the tires will hold (which they most likely wont).

JNate
Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Why not a locker? I understand if you say due to the noise, I am still learning to "tune" it out. The damn thing launches straight as hell though, and I am sure I wont break it, so the noise I will live with. Just curious.
I had limited seat time in an F-car with a locker, but just from that experience I don't think I could phase all the noise out. The spool is cheaper and isn't as noisy, so I just can't justify paying more money for less manners. If you can get used to it after a few thousand miles, then I agree that it is the better choice. I don't know if I could last that long though.
Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
You're planning to launch at 6500 rpm clutch dumps, and want to run a posi I think you are obviously confused about what a posi can handle. You'll toast almost anything aside from a locker or spool at that rpm assuming the tires will hold (which they most likely wont).
Aw come on, give the posi units a bit of credit. They aren't as tough as a spool or locker, but they're certainly not fragile. I've got a buddy who is leaving on a 33 spline 12 bolt with an Eaton that HOOKS with 600ft/lbs of torque. He's been through 3 ring and pinion sets, but the posi is still holding strong. I don't think anybody would argue that the TrueTrac is stronger. When/if the posi breaks, I would have just upgraded, thats all.

That being said - I went ahead and ordered the spool for now. When/if the Truetracs become available again, I'll just swap them. Thanks for your input, guys!

Last edited by JoeyAnderson; 04-19-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Restricted User

Joey, I see. I only rode in one locker WS6 before and it clunked and rathected a bit. Seems like mine is much noisier, however this is going off memory since it was a while ago Ben lived here and had only a ride around the block. I daily drive my car, and although there are a few on here that will swear by the spool and its drivability, I opted for something a little louder, just as durable and IMO more DD friendly. I didnt cost a penny more, or less either. I'm glad you didnt say that lockers arent meant for our applications or something, which is why I asked. GL

Charlie
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not having any luck with my alburn.
lastest maybe a half a season now i cant get both wheels to spin for the life of me.
i pulled a locker out for it, the locker gave me way to much drive train slack. and yeah that was noisy as hell

i want to try a true trac, but really dont want to spend the money. i'll probably just put a spool in it.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching!

I put together a car that has been high 9's with a trac-loc. At this point it has lasted 2 seasons, but it is due for rebuild.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i want to try a true trac, but really dont want to spend the money. i'll probably just put a spool in it.
Good luck getting ahold of one. Nobody in the nation has them.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a 35 spline TrueTrac for my new Dana. I'm glad I got it 6 wks ago because Scott from DLS says they are hard to come by right now. I think Eaton Corp. aquired tractech and that might be whats causing the delays.

I would advise against an auburn in a stick shift application. They seem to do alright for the auto guys though. I think the trac-loc is popular with the mustang crowd and alot of fast stick mustangs use them.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Good luck getting ahold of one. Nobody in the nation has them.
really there's a crap load of them on ebay... but i havent tried to get one... they could be back ordered.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Don't know if it's the same in the GM camp but when those true tracs first came out in a 2 pin design they broke often. But they re-designed it and came out with a 3 pin design. Since then I haven't heard them failing.

Why is the locker not a option? If you may go w/ a spool a locker is way more streetable and virtually indestructable. Mine has taken tons of abuse and has been in the car for over 5 years. -Mark

Quick Reply: Anybody Drag Racing a 9" Auburn or Trac-Loc Posi?