Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Overfilled the 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Overfilled the 10 bolt?

What happens if you overfill your rearend?

Ok I just had my gears swapped like one month ago.

I had a leak of rearend fluid. So I look under the car and it looks like its leaking from the pinion seal.

I looked at the seal and no drip or wet with oil. The werid thing is that it looks like it could of very well be the damn seal, what else?

So i took it back to the shop where they did the work, they pulled out the driveshaft looked at the seal and it looks good no driping or even wet from oil.

They are telling me its leaking sum where but not the seal. So then where?
Then they tell me they might of overfilled it. And that it might be splashing out some how. So now they suggest opening the side filler hole and letting it drip till it stops.

So now I'm still not certain where this damn oil is leaking from.
If it was overfilled would it leak out like that? Out thru the breather part ontop of the rear?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't hink you can overfill them. If you filled through the plug then that's as high as it will allow you to fill it. If you are leaking out the pinion seal then I guess you need a new one
Old 04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct, well I guess if you had the passenger side jacked up, you could techically over fill it, but you most likely have a bad seal, it is pretty common.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is like I mentioned before, the shop took the driveshaft off and I saw where the seal is dry and it looks good. So what gives where else is it leaking from ? For now imma clean up the whole rearend and watch for new oil. I hope I target the problem if it is the seal, its ******* weird how its not wet or visually leaking.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

If it has too much oil it is probably coming out of the breater on top of the diff, no big deal. The way I see it is its better to have a little too much oil in the diff than not enough.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, there is a vent on top, If you have a bit much, it will eventually find its way out of the system.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did they use a crush sleeve? On my Firehawk, my pinion had a very slow leak right from the factory. Those crush sleeves suck for high torque cars. If it is not a filling issue, have them put a solid spacer in it.

-Geoff

Quick Reply: Overfilled the 10 bolt?