General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Distributor/Timing Belt NON-FBODY (Sorry) Girlfriend's Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor/Timing Belt NON-FBODY (Sorry) Girlfriend's Car

Hey guys sorry to take up f-body space with a 4-cyl...

Girlfriend's car... 1993 Celica GT (2.2L) automatic, 118k...this is a twin-cam motor. She was driving down the road and heard a sound from the front passenger side? of the engine compartment, said it sounded like a bird or small animal hit her car. Car died and she coasted to a stop, would not restart.

I had it towed to a local mechanic shop, on the phone the next morning he said the timing belt was broke, which is what it sounded like to me anyway; that's fine. The kicker is he says the car is getting no spark currently, and that the distributor also needs to be replaced. He says what probably happened is that the distributor shaft locked up and caused one of the cams to stop moving abruptly, thus breaking the already worn out timing belt.

This doesn't make sense to me... I thought the cam turned the distributor not the other way around? I've never had a vehicle taken to this shop (the owner seems knowledgable and pretty decent but who knows). He wants a little over $200 to change the timing belt (about the same price as the dealership). I asked him point blank "What would happen if we just put the timing belt on?" He said "The car won't start" because it doesn't have any spark because the distributor is bad. The distributor is $337 installed (I assume for aftermarket). He also said that after the timing belt/distributor is installed if the car has bent valves/pushrods and we dont want to fix the car, he would take the distributor back off and return it no charge.

Let me know what you guys think... I will delete this thread so it doesn't come up in searches later I just need some help..
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like thats what happend. the cam turned the distrubitor but the dist. locked up stoping a cam. breaking the timming belt as the cam gear stoped and the others kept going. on a OHC motor you have a very very good chance that you bent some valves and chances are the car is gone w/out a head job (personal experence from a 2.0 Turbo DOHC)
Old 04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those prices are very fair, IMO.

There's a good chance the valves may be bent, also.