General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help w/ recharging A/C please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ recharging A/C please?

I've never done anywork w/ the A/C and can't figure out where to hook up the R-134a recharge service kit Maybe its the heat?

Anyways, I know that metal cannister thing is the accumulator, I know where the a/c compressor is, but I can't find where the low-side service port is to hook up the recharge kit hose!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I've searched and read a lot, but haven't been able to figure it out

TIA
Old 04-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Ok, well I found out that the coupling for the recharge kit fits on the connection on the silver canister. I hooked everything up, started the car, ran the a/c, and tried to use the R-134a can to fill it up.

PSI was about 40lbs, and the pressure from the can didn't seem like it was going into the system. Its wierd because my a/c is colder now, but I don't even know if any R-134a from the can went into the system throught the silver canister (when I disconnected, there was a bunch left in the can that escaped).

any help/advice?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Beuller..beuller...

Come on, I know there should be a few people out there that should be able to help me out with this.....the days are gettin' crazy hot
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

First, you really need a "real" Ac manifold gauge, and a vacuum pump and then you can fix your leak or whatever is wrong.You can never have enough tools.

With that said, make sure that the compressor is on/working when you charge the system because it needs to suck the Freon in.
Hook up gauge "kit" to the low or suction side.
Start engine.
Set A/C on high.
It should charge up.
You know you are close to a proper charge when the accumulator has condensation on it. Rev it up a little it will help speed up the process. Remember low side cold, high side hot.

A little tip...invert the can and dump as much liquid in as you can you won't hurt the compressor, and you can also put the can in hot water to speed up the process.

Man, you really need some good gauges because both the high side and low side readings are important. It is hard to diagnose without proper readings

Also, google around about air conditioning systems.
Hint.. Read about cycling clutch orifice tube systems and Expansion valve systems.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

wow, looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the info, though.

I don't think I have a leak, its just been a few years since the a/c was worked on/serviced. I'm pretty sure it was just weak/low on freon because the air was cool, but not really cold. It wasn't blowing hot air.

My one important ? is where exactly is the "low or suction side". Is the connection on the accumulator the right place to connect the recharge kit? When I hooked the kit and can of R-134a up to it and attempted to recharge, the accumulator did build up condensation on it.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by danalo
wow, looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the info, though.

I don't think I have a leak, its just been a few years since the a/c was worked on/serviced. I'm pretty sure it was just weak/low on freon because the air was cool, but not really cold. It wasn't blowing hot air.

My one important ? is where exactly is the "low or suction side". Is the connection on the accumulator the right place to connect the recharge kit? When I hooked the kit and can of R-134a up to it and attempted to recharge, the accumulator did build up condensation on it.
Yea, the accumulator is on the "low side", also called the suction side and that's the place you're hooked up right.

You can get pretty close to a proper charge just looking. condensation= good, frost= bad, means low charge. And remember R-134a (Freon) doesn't wear out, it leaks out.
Don't over charge, and get some tools. Read some and it will all be clear.