LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coolant system flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant system flush

Well the other day I took of my radiator cap and I noticed that there was some gunk on it and I'm guess there is also some in the whole coolant system. I was wondering what the most effective way to do a full coolant system flush was.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Here is what I did... you have to drain the system... including the coolant temp sensor on the lower passenger side of the block. Fill with distilled h20, then run for a short period with radiator cap off. Finally fill back up with coolant/h20 mixture. leave rad cap off, open the two screw head bleed valves. As you do this... bubbles will come up at the cap... keep opening these untill no more bubbles. Finally, make sure that the system is full(of coolant/h20) then you are all set. This is the way that I was taught... doesn't mean its the best or even the right way. LOL...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cybin
Here is what I did... you have to drain the system... including the coolant temp sensor on the lower passenger side of the block. Fill with distilled h20, then run for a short period with radiator cap off. Finally fill back up with coolant/h20 mixture. leave rad cap off, open the two screw head bleed valves. As you do this... bubbles will come up at the cap... keep opening these untill no more bubbles. Finally, make sure that the system is full(of coolant/h20) then you are all set. This is the way that I was taught... doesn't mean its the best or even the right way. LOL...
Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

sorry, blast! didn't mean to do that!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cybin
By doing what you described you have not flushed the cooling system. You just managed to empty and refill 1/2 of it. You must complete the cycle of filling/ running / draining for about 4-5 times or until all the liquid is clear indicating all of the antifreeze is out. The refill with the proper procedure.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

The way I did it on my LT1 was to remove bottom radiator hose. Remove thermostat with housing and cover the optispart the best I could. I pulled the battery and removed the overflow tank, emptied it and flushed it and put it back in.

I then gently pushed water, with a garden house through the block from the thermostat hole and radiator until I saw nothing but clear water.

I then removed the hoses going into the heater core from their connections at the motor, opened the control inside the car for heat and pushed water through the core until I saw nothing but clean water. I hooked up the radiator hose and carefully filled the block (the best I could) with 50/50 through the thermostat housing. I also filled the overflow tank to the line with mix. I then buttoned up the thermostat and connected the hose. I filled the radiator with 50/50 and connected the heater hoses when needed. I opened the air bleeds and left them open if no coolant escaped. I then made sure the radiator was full. Closed bleed screw(s) and put the radiator cap on. Started the car, check for leaks and run until warm. Open the bleeds and wait for cool. Opened the radiator cap and refilled. Start car, let it get good and warm and check bleeds. I did this until I was sure no air was trapped.

Time consuming but rewarding in that I was sure everything had been cycled.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ToxicFormula
Well the other day I took of my radiator cap and I noticed that there was some gunk on it and I'm guess there is also some in the whole coolant system. I was wondering what the most effective way to do a full coolant system flush was.

Thanks
The best way to do it is go buy a prestone (or equivelant brand)system flush kit from you local parts store.
Drain the fluid from your radiator and the engine (by removing the pitot tube on the radiator and the coolant sensor on the LH side of the engine.
Then refill the radiator with water and a system flush.
Next you cut the lower heater hose and insert the backwash T. Take off your radiator cap. Plug your water hose to the T and turn on the car and turn on the hose. You will see water come out of the top of the radiator. flush for 15 minutes you should see the water get crystal clear by this time.

Good luck

Quick Reply: coolant system flush