General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How are my fluid Choices.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How are my fluid Choices.

My T/a has 40k miles and I want to change all the fluids in it so that I am up to date on fluids. The previous owners seemed to be doing a great job on maintainance but I would like to change everything for my own peace of mind. I don't want to spend insane amounts for stuff like royal purple but I can spend a little bit on premium products since I like this car a lot and want to keep it for a long time.

Oil: 5 quarts 10w30 Mobil 1, This was all that was used in this car so far and I got the vette oil cap that says only use Mobil 1, (not that it matters but oh well)

Transmission: t-56: 4 quarts dexron iii ATF fluid, I will see if I can find the mobil 1, if not I will go dino. Any other fluids i should get instead? I have heard that people get good results with certain other fluids but Im not sure.

Rear End: 2 quarts Mobil 1 75w90 (If i go synthetic, do I need the rear end additive), also, Should I go synthetic here or just stick with dino?

I will do the Steering probably with Valvoline SynPower, Already did the brakes with prestone synthetic dot 3

I am not going to change the coolant yet, it works fine, seems good condition and coolant is expensive (I will change it if I ever do a waterpump or cam swap, etc)

Just go over my maintenance plan and see if it is all good or if i should use something else.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

first. 6 quarts of mobil 1...not 5. also i am running all mobil 1 fluids in my 02 and its running better than it did when i bought it at 30,000 i prolly wouldn't even worry about he power steering fluid but if you're really wanting to do it you could add lucas steering it will help preserve all that good stuff in there. and you will need to be changing your dex cool soon 2007 (5 years, 150,000) so i'd get ready for that. i say go for full synthetic on everything and also i used GM additive in my rear. (with the mobil 1 i think royal purple has the stuff in it but not mobil1
Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 AM

Your car takes 5.5 Qt.s of oil. Check the owners manual. There is a lot of discussion avout oil & what weight to use. you can use the search in the internal engine forum. Patman seems to be the board oil guy. I personally stick with the Mobil 1 5w30. It is not suggested to run Synthetic fluids in an A4 or T56 tranny. As for the rear end you need the GM additive no matter what you use. Royal purpls is supose to have it in there, but most of the people I know that used it Their rears made noise until they added the addative.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 AM

As for coolant, Dexcool is the only way to go in the GM cars.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

I've been using the new Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant recently, and I've been pretty satisfied with it. Its the one that mixes with all makes/models/colors, heres the excerpt from the Prestone website:

New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Your car takes 5.5 Qt.s of oil. Check the owners manual. There is a lot of discussion avout oil & what weight to use. you can use the search in the internal engine forum. Patman seems to be the board oil guy. I personally stick with the Mobil 1 5w30. It is not suggested to run Synthetic fluids in an A4 or T56 tranny. As for the rear end you need the GM additive no matter what you use. Royal purpls is supose to have it in there, but most of the people I know that used it Their rears made noise until they added the addative.
yep very true it is 5.5 qts https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...filled+oil+pan

anywayz i use the oversized filter so i guess 6qt work for my car great just thought i'd drop that by not trying to be a ***** or anything