Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM2 problems w/ ground effects?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM2 problems w/ ground effects?

i just ordered LM2 w/3.5 slash tips and was wondering if it will clear my stock groundeffects.....i have an 01 z28 w/ sports package

my buddy has an 02 ss and his tips are really close to his bumper and i dunno if mine will clear without bending the pipe's...just wondering what to expect
Old 04-23-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hate to say it.. But I just installed mine this week... Don't think yours is gonna fit... I have less than 3/8 of an inch clearance with no ground effects.
Hope Ya got a dremal tool to do the cutout.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

if they dont clear ill prolly have them bent to fit, i dont really want to cut the ground effects
Old 04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Teching In

My Loud Mouth fit fine on my 02 Z28 with ground effects.
During the install i checked the tips which had almost a half inch clearance under the rear ground effect, So i unbolted it and used grade 8 washers with rubber washers from home depo to help with vibrations and i was able to get about 5/8's - 3/4 of an inch clearance with the tips under the rear , With that clearance my car has been fine for the past year it hasnt melted or discolored my rear ground effect and it's a daily driver, So i would amagine if nothing has happen in the past year you will be fine
Old 04-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just take off the tips and put dumps. problem solved.

the LM tips don't look all that great anyway so it's not a huge loss (like it would be if they were the corsa tips ). dumps are cheap and then you can sell the LM tips on ebay. if anything you'll profit.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

My original Loud Mouth didn't even come close to fitting with ground effects. However, if you bend mounting tab after teh pipe comes over the axle, and space the mount itself, you can enough clearance out of it. My tips actually rubbed the ground effect alittle but it never did any damage.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info hopefully they will clear, ill try and space them if i can. i was even thinking of using the stock style tips( where they dont come out past the bumper). but i will have to wait till it comes in..
Originally Posted by GM Muscle
My original Loud Mouth didn't even come close to fitting with ground effects. However, if you bend mounting tab after teh pipe comes over the axle, and space the mount itself, you can enough clearance out of it. My tips actually rubbed the ground effect alittle but it never did any damage.
did you have a stock rear valence, i see from your pic that you dont have stock groundeffects...upfront anyways......

once again thanks for the info