Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the heck

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what the heck

so I'm under the driver side front corner of my car yesterday and I figured out where the mystery throttle cable goes to, a little box right behind the bumper, theis maybe a dumb question but is that the AIR pump control, and more importantly, can I remove it without affecting anything seeing as my smog pump has been "disabled". I'd really like to get rid of that box's weight on my front end and eliminate those cables running accross my engine since the cruise doesn't work anyway.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blue28
so I'm under the driver side front corner of my car yesterday and I figured out where the mystery throttle cable goes to, a little box right behind the bumper, theis maybe a dumb question but is that the AIR pump control, and more importantly, can I remove it without affecting anything seeing as my smog pump has been "disabled". I'd really like to get rid of that box's weight on my front end and eliminate those cables running accross my engine since the cruise doesn't work anyway.
No, that's the cruise control module, the AIR pump is in the cavity you access to change the side marker lamp bulb.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cable running down there is for your cruise controll module. Let me guess, your car does not have traction controll?

The NON-TCS cars have their cruise controll box located sorta under the driver side headlight, while the TCS cars have theirs located ont he passenger side fender.

The AIR pump is also down there. You can unbolt the bottom flap down there and drop it out the bottom.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no traction control needed, I've got a strange products rearend and several other rear suspension upgrades which resulted in the demise of any traction control and ABS. The new gears and TCI transmission took care of the cruise, I find myself drifting further and further from luxury, but closer and closer to 9's. The three pounds I'll lose from axing the cruise module will help. Thankyou for the help.

I don't know if I had traction control stock or not, that part of the console is now the nitrous switch panel and I have an ACS idiot light along with ABS INOP, if I wasn't so lazy I'd figure out how to get them to turn off.

Last edited by blue28; 04-24-2006 at 12:05 PM.