Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

No idea!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No idea!

I've been having trouble with search this morning, so hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out with my list of ?s. I've decided that 400rwhp isn't going to cut it anymore. I've been looking at nitrous for a while, but a neighbor with a Cobra keeps telling me to look into forced induction, which I know nothing about. I'm leaning towards a supercharger since I already have LTs. Here's my mods:
Absolute Speed 2.5 5.3 Heads (flowed 314cfm @ .600 lift)
LG motorsports G5X3 114LSA cam
TSP double roller timing chain
ASP Underdrive Pulley
FLP LTs
SVT 30lb SVO Injectors
MTI Lid

So I want to know:
1.) Can I keep that head/cam set up with a supercharger? Is my cam too aggressive?
2.) Will I get less results from a certain amount of boost than a stock engine would, meaning, will I have to run more boost to obtain similar % increases in hp since I have higher flowing heads and an aggressive cam?
3.) Approximately how much boost would I have to run in order to get 600rwhp?
4.) Does more boost increase the risk of SC failure/damage or damage to the engine?
5.) Will I need to go with a forged bottom end at 600hp? How far can you push a stock bottom end?
6.) What's a good ballpark figure for the kit, fueling system and all the misc. parts for a complete system? (haven't called Bob @ EPP yet)
7.)What kind of hp do SC max out at?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by FL01SS; 04-25-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Teching In

What's up FL01ss? As being the former owner of this car I'm going to throw out my 2 cents. I would start working on reinforcing the drive line. The clutch, if you're still using the stock one, is at the limits as well as the rear end. I would address these issues and throw in a set of 4.10's along with the 9 inch or 12 bolt. Then I would get the car retuned a little more conservitive for nitrous. If I remember correctly it was tuned at 13:1 so you'll want to fatten it up a little to be safe. A good 125-150 shot should get you to or close to 600rwhp. If you got the forced induction way you'll have to tear the car all apart and spend alot more $$$.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No 4.10s with FI.... A friend of mine made about 630RWHP with an ATI P1SC, headers, same cam you have, and stock heads. This is arguably more than what the bottom end can safely handle for an extended amount of time...
Old 04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FL01SS
I've been having trouble with search this morning, so hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out with my list of ?s. I've decided that 400rwhp isn't going to cut it anymore. I've been looking at nitrous for a while, but a neighbor with a Cobra keeps telling me to look into forced induction, which I know nothing about. I'm leaning towards a supercharger since I already have LTs. Here's my mods:
Absolute Speed 2.5 5.3 Heads (flowed 314cfm @ .600 lift)
LG motorsports G5X3 114LSA cam
TSP double roller timing chain
ASP Underdrive Pulley
FLP LTs
SVT 30lb SVO Injectors
MTI Lid

So I want to know:
1.) Can I keep that head/cam set up with a supercharger? Is my cam too aggressive?
You're going to need to get rid of those 5.3 heads, you need to drop the compression around 9:1 fo a good boosted setup.

2.) Will I get less results from a certain amount of boost than a stock engine would, meaning, will I have to run more boost to obtain similar % increases in hp since I have higher flowing heads and an aggressive cam?
The G5x3 cam made some good power on an ATI setup so you can keep that to save some cash.

3.) Approximately how much boost would I have to run in order to get 600rwhp?
4.) Does more boost increase the risk of SC failure/damage or damage to the engine?
More boost = more hp/tq so you're putting more compression and stress on the internals, most people go to 12psi MAX and that's really pushing it on stock internals.
5.) Will I need to go with a forged bottom end at 600hp? How far can you push a stock bottom end?
IMO past 650rwhp you need to go forged, but if you want 600 you can do it safe as along as you have a badass tune.

6.) What's a good ballpark figure for the kit, fueling system and all the misc. parts for a complete system? (haven't called Bob @ EPP yet)
Call Bob he can set you up with a nice kit with everything you're gonna need.
7.)What kind of hp do SC max out at?
It all depends on which S/C you go with they all differ in sizes.. the most popular is the ATI D1 which makes great power.

Thanks for the info!
Hope this helps
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

BONUS~How's it going? I never got back to ya after my run in with the curb! I toasted the rack & pinion, but that was it. I'm lookin into a Moser 12 bolt, but I'm not sure about 4.10s. Might go with 3.73s. Lookin into a Spec 3 too.

BAD FNZ~ Thanks for the reply. If I would need to change heads, I'm just going to go with the juice instead!

Quick Reply: No idea!