Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time to Rebuild the T-56

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Time to Rebuild the T-56

Well, all the bearings in my transmission have been screaming at me for a little while, and now it's vibrating like crazy in 6th gear. Time to rebuild the tranny I guess.
My questions are:
1) What could/should I upgrade from stock while I'm in there?
2) Would said parts from question #1 make the tranny really noisy?
3) Are there any specific brands of bearings/other parts that I should particularly go for or stay away from?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't really find a thread with good, solid info on this, and the tranny is about the only thing on the car that I'm not really familiar with (probably because it's the only thing I haven't rebuilt yet )

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet is to give Joe & Amber a call at T56Rebuilds.com. They answer their phone late into the night...goes to show you their great customer service.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 PM

If you dont have the right tools, Id have someone do it. It takes some good presses and a lot of shimming to get the right bearing and end play clearences. I recommend T56rebuilds.com.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking it to a guy in Raleigh (where I live when I'm not at school) who builds race car drive trains for a living. He's qualified.

That way I don't have to wait/pay for shipping and whatnot.

I'm probably going to put shift forks from a Viper in there and leave the rest pretty much stock. The car is just bolt ons and a tune right now, and will get heads/cam/spray within the next year.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I rebuilt mine I bought the parts and manual from Gear Box and was happy with them. I replaced all the bearings, added steel 3/4 fork, carbon blocker rings, and billet keys when I did mine. So far so good and it shifts better than it ever has.

http://www.thegearbox.org/