Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Doing brakes on 02 vette, any tips from the pro's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing brakes on 02 vette, any tips from the pro's?

Hey, I decided to do my own brakes, got em for 113.xx shipped from jenningsparts on ebay. Came with some metal brackets and stuff that I have never seen on brakes before. So any tips to keep me from messing this up or to keep my brakes from being noisy after i am done, will be GREATLY appreciated for the peace of mind your expert advice will give me. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Teching In

If you are only replacing the brake pads and not the rotors, you only need to remove the 15mm bolt. The bigger bolt does not need to be removed. You need to hold the other side of the 15mm bolt so that it doesn't just spin. This is something you may not notice at first. Everything is so easy to change. Just pay attention to the way the pad you take off is and put the new one on the same way. The metal clips help hold in the brake pads. There is one for each pad and one that goes in the top of the caliper. They are easy to remove and replace too. You will need to compress the caliper piston with a C-clamp to get it to fit over the new pads. I was able to push them in without a C-clamp, but it makes it much easier if you have one. When you put the caliper back on, use blue thread lock and torque to 23 ft-lbs. The torque for the wheel lug nuts is 100 ft-lbs.

Very easy job even for a novice. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing. If you use the search funtion on corvetteforum, you will probably find directions with pictures.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

hey I appreciate it man, alot. I have done other brakes and I know brakes are brakes but this is my baby and I didn't want to risk missing anything vital. I wil do a search on the procedure and refer back to this post, too.

Anyone else got anything to add to this info?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't forget to suck some of the brake fluid out before you push the pistons in. It won't hurt anything if it spills over but it makes a mess. Brake jobs are very straight forward on these cars.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

preciate it fellas.

Quick Reply: Doing brakes on 02 vette, any tips from the pro's?