General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car storing...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car storing...sort of

I'm about to deploy for several months and my car will be chillen in my garage. I have someone to start it every week but does it need to be driven or will starting it be ok, I really dont like anyone driving my ride. Also since it wont be used that much do I need to add a gas additive. Anything else I need to be conserned about?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a couple of months, I'd just put in some Sta-Bil, fill it up, take out the battery, and maybe put a cover on it (depending on where you put it).

Some folks are more **** than I am, but to each his/her own.

I don't agree with the occasional start. Condensate will build up unless you keep it started long enough to heat up and drive all that moisture out. There really isn't any need as long as you don't start revving it up as soon as you get back and start her up.

Good luck on your deployment.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with above. When I store mine for the winter, I get the tires off the ground, change the oil, add fuel stabilizer & top off tank, put a few charcoal bricks in a little bag in the interior (fights odors), get a good wax on it, take out the battery & put it on a trickle charger, cover up the car and don't touch it until you're ready to take it out of storage. If you're really ****, I know guys that plug their intake/exhaust with oily rags. I know I'd forget to take them out!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, good info thanks. So I guess it will be ok to just sit. It may be up to 5 months, is that going to be ok. I have 4 jack stands, is that safe enough to keep it up or is there a better way.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS7
hmm, good info thanks. So I guess it will be ok to just sit. It may be up to 5 months, is that going to be ok. I have 4 jack stands, is that safe enough to keep it up or is there a better way.
As long as they're good jackstands that should be fine. You only have to get the car high enough to not have the weight of the car on the tires, so it'll only be 3-4" off the ground.