Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!

Hey Guys,

Ok so I have a problem, and I need your help on how to fix it.

On the ram air hoods I guess there was something on them to keep rain from getting into the air box (lid) but on mine it is no longer there. Most people say its not a big deal and they have had no problems with it, but today after driving in hard rain for 2 hours I popped the hood and took the lid off and sure enough it was wet under the air filter.

What can I do to keep the rain from getting in there? It looks as if my hood has been cut:

I need help with this one guys, It is my daily driver and I can't avoid the rain so I need to figure out how to fix this problem before water makes it past the filter and causes damage
Old 04-29-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are baffles in the stock hood that divert the rain, if you can get ahold of some clear plastic sheet (lexan or similar) you can fab a rain blocker that fits on the out side of the nostril grills, and it won't affect the looks.
Take out the grills trace the pattern on the plastic, and cut them out, clean the edges up, and put them in the grills, you can put a clip on the plastic to attach them firmly to the nostril grills
Old 04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

AWESOME!

Thanks 2k2ws6ta!

that sounds very simple to do and is a quick thing to throw on before you drive in the rain!

How do you attach the clip to the lexan? just glue it?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd use a bolt with a nut, or a screw
FYI it doesn't have to be lexan, plastic, or any specific material
It's mostly to cover the grills to keep the rain out, so use whatever you have handy, (hell even some thin wood would work)you could even use some sheet metal if you have that, paint it to make it look nice (if you want)
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

well today I had to drive back and didnt have time to fab anything up so I just cut a piece of cardboard that fit inside the gap on the inside of the hood and covered it with duct-tape. worked fine to keep most of the rain out but once I get home for the summer I will be making some covers out of some lexan that we have layin in the garage at home. Thanks again for the help.