Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reinstalling T56 tailshaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reinstalling T56 tailshaft problem

got back my modified tailhousing back from Shiftworks w/ both electronic and mecnaical speedo drives. Upon reinstalling housing it gets hung up about a 1/4 inch out. just about where alignment pins are. The tranny is bolted to engine. Any thoughts on whats hanging it up? Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got that same problem last night. Got pissed and just took her back out before I broke something. Theres a post a little ways down that suggested to bleed the slave. Mine got a quarter inch out too but I just couldnt get my self to draw her in with the bolts. Pretty much the exact situation your in. Gonna put her up tomorrow and try to open the bleeder. If that doesnt work then I'm drawin her in.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The trans is already on the engine and you are re-installing the tail housing. First be sure the speed sensor is not interfering( remove it) . I suspect it is the rear end of the shift rail not aligning with its hole in the extension. It may be that the weight of it has allowed it to "sag" reach in with a screw driver and lift up on re rail alittle to help it into its spot. Re assembling the unit in this way is most difficult and hard to control. You would have had an easier time pulling the unit and assembling the extension to it with the nose down.