General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery leaked like crazy, Cleanup Options, Repainting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery leaked like crazy, Cleanup Options, Repainting?

So as I read is typical with the stock battery, mine leaked all over the battery tray, and corroded and fudged up all over the positive redwire and what I think is an additional ground wire group.
It leaked and ran all the way down the wire inside the black tubing and finally dripped out right onto the back of my K member.
It left white junk all over where the battery tray sits, and seemingly melted the black plastic tubing that covers the wires in question.

So I searched and read about how to clean up, and did the whole Water/Baking soda bit on as much of the mess I could find.
I plan on spending some time with the dremel wire brush wheel and some WD-40 cleaning off the white deposits down to the metal and would like to paint over the spots I had to clean.
So I was wondering, what paints anyone could recommend for covering it all up to prevent more rust, and if there is a good procedure to follow to do that?
I would imagine I'd grind it down to the metal, dry it really well, put some primer on and then use a colored spray to match?
Any particular paints i should look for?

Right now there are two spots I would like to repaint, on the tranny side of the K member where alot of the juice collected, and in the engine bay where the Battery tray sits, I can see bare metal around the red paint, where there looks to be the beginnings of rust, which makes me very nurvous.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks
DJ
Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for unseen areas - POR15

google it
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you!
I thought i was gonna have to BUMP this bizzo.

DJ
Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Look close, your sway bar mount on that side will more than likely be full of the stuff.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Look close, your sway bar mount on that side will more than likely be full of the stuff.
Grrrreeeaaaat.
It's up on jack stands now so I can clean it up before the new battery goes in.
Thanks for the heads up, Its getting nice out and I really wanna get on the road.

DJ
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Grrrreeeaaaat.
It's up on jack stands now so I can clean it up before the new battery goes in.
Thanks for the heads up, Its getting nice out and I really wanna get on the road.

DJ
The top side of the sway bar mount makes the shape like a little cup and it will hold the acid and just eat it up. I had to remove the corrosion and repaint it.
Also don't forget to wash off the baking soda residue/area with distilled water.
While baking soda neutralizes the acid, it is alkaline and if left on the car will also start eating things up.

I just finally did the paint and repair the other day, pulled the radiator and fans, battery and coolant tank.
I even ordered a can of base coat last Jan so the color would be identical in the engine bay.

Of course the people I ordered the base coat paint from just knew I really didn't want just the base coat without the gloss so they added that also.
The can came with the correct label and part number I had ordered, the employee drew a faint line thru the part number and hand wrote the part number for the gloss designation on the top of the label, but it was so faint it was barely noticible - until I started doing the actual painting last week.

I was sooo pissed.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks alot for the info!

Dj