Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Read/Write to a LS1 crate motor computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Read/Write to a LS1 crate motor computer

I'm having trouble working with the computer supplied by GM with one of thier crate motors. The paper work supplied says to treat it as a 98 F-body Automatic (With tech2 of course ). I have 98 fbody for both my TunerCat and HpTuners. Niether one will read/write to computer, hell Hptuners won't even log it. HPTuners will at least talk to it enough to retrieve the VIN and read the battery voltage. The VIN is programmed as LS1 AUTO VER.0. When you try to talk to it, both programs get as far as identifing the computer, and wig out and stop after I assume they see the non standard VIN. I've tried everything from doing a complete reflash with an other 98 program to trying to just change the VIN thinking it would help. No dice, it won't let me do anything. I can scan it with a generic OBDII cable I have. Everything works, the car runs and drives we just need to change a few things specific to the installation.

Any ideas??? Does HPTuners have a specific category for this so that I can just add "GM Crate" to my stuff. This is in a very high end car for a very important client for me. I really need to get this fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would email support at hptuners dot com and see what they have to say... include the VCM details (under help... collects all it can about the VCM)
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Efilive will allow you to unlock the pcm. Give me the seed and ill give you the Key to Type in..
Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that somthing I can do, not having EFILive? I wouldn't care to just send it to you and pay to have it act like a normal 98, but removing the computer from the car is not an option. It's in a 58 conv vette, they put it way up under the dash and would have to pull most of the interior out to access it. They are not wanting to consider that an option or I would have already stuck another computer in it and fixed this one later.