Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Too much timing?

The shop that tuned my car contacted me today and informed me that my timing on my n/a tune was set at 31 degrees. Which kinda of scared me? I have a completely forced 346 w/ Diamond Pistons / Eagle Rods. The kit im using is a NX Dual Nozzle wet kit setup for about a 125 shot. I have sprayed it maybe 2/3 times so far with about 950 psi in the bottle. I have seen no knock on my diablosport programmer? Is it safe to spray what I am at the moment with the timing so high? Or should I go get a tune to lower my timing and maybe lose a few n/a horses?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Best alternative if wet would be to use a timing tuner. Otherwise, back it down a few degrees via a tune.
Another way would be to set up a dry shot and allow for the computer to pull timming based on airflow.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Restricted User

Yeah. I shot 33* 120shot a lot, but found out that it does damage. Ended up having to replace the plugs after every w/e of racing, about 12-20 runs. Not to cool. If it tears plugs up it is tearing other **** up too. Confused though, your using the diablo ontop of custom tuning? With the diablo you can take out WOT Spark, or have the tune redone. Depending on the tuner though.
When I tune for wet, I keep the Spark around 28* from 0-.76g/cyl of airflow, then after that I reduce 2-3* per step of increasing airflow, for smaller shots, and more for larger shots. There really isnt a good reason to run 31* of spark though. I have done lots of testing with timing at the track and there is so little difference it can attributed to weather. So why push the spark that far and risk running it on the edge? GL

Charlie
Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAT3
Yeah. I shot 33* 120shot a lot, but found out that it does damage. Ended up having to replace the plugs after every w/e of racing, about 12-20 runs. Not to cool. If it tears plugs up it is tearing other **** up too. Confused though, your using the diablo ontop of custom tuning? With the diablo you can take out WOT Spark, or have the tune redone. Depending on the tuner though.
When I tune for wet, I keep the Spark around 28* from 0-.76g/cyl of airflow, then after that I reduce 2-3* per step of increasing airflow, for smaller shots, and more for larger shots. There really isnt a good reason to run 31* of spark though. I have done lots of testing with timing at the track and there is so little difference it can attributed to weather. So why push the spark that far and risk running it on the edge? GL

Charlie
Well said, 31 is a bit too much for nitrous and bringing it down at least to normal stock levels of 27-28 is good but retarding a bit more is even safer.

I tuned my car but did not even touch the timing tables so they are stock and I dont have any issues on the juice, but then again the leanest I am is mid 12's, all the way down to low 11's.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAT3

Charlie
The car is tuned on HPTuners but I don't have the software... but have a Diablo sport programmer which I just hook in to the cable but don't activate any tune with it. You can just view all your reading on the diablo but just can't tune it. I have checked my plugs because I was running the tr55s and sprayed it about 5 times on those plugs. Pull them out looked like no signs of detonation looked perfect just a little rich.. cause my fuel jets are on the safe side. Then I put it in the ngk tr6s but haven't checked them yet. I need to get a timing tuner or get my tune knocked down I know but it seems like it is safe right now?