Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!!

OK, here is what I have:

PC 7336sp
Brand new Lake Country Yellow (heavy cut) and White (mild Cut) pads
Meguirs #2 and #9
Zaino PC-Fusion, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z8

Here is my problem. I am trying to get my car back to looking like it rolled out of the show room (if possible). I am brand new to using a DA polisher and the methods. I have looked on the internet and read a lot but, I am not getting the results that I thought I would.

I started with the yellow pad and Megs #2. According to the internet and a application guide that I got from 'Classic motoring Accessories' I compounded the vehicle. This seemed to diminish some of the scratches (surface only) in the vehicle but, did not fully remove then. Plus it left the surface dull (to be expected which is stated in the application guide). The dull surface stems from very tiny swirls in on the surface made by the pad/compound combo.

Now I went back with the white pad and Meg #9 and it restored the shine. But, when I look at the surface in incandecent light, I still see some fine swirls and scratches on the surface. I tried the PC-Fusion and it seems to lessen the fine swirls a little better.

So, what did I (or doing) wrong? Will Z5 eventually hide the swirls (which I doubt) or do I need to keep at it with some pad/polish combination?

My ultimate goal is to have the vehicle as swirl/scratch free before I Zaino. The car was clayed and washed prior to any compound/polishing was started.

PLEASE, do not make this into a Wax war or Zaino bashing issue. I am dead set on finishing the car using Zaino and willing to only use Meguirs for prepping the car.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunno if this will help or not, but I'm in the middle of doing my car too. I'm using the pc with menzerna intensive polish, final polish II and then sealant (undecided so far). I've done a little over half the car with the intensive polish, and it takes a long time and several applications to get deep swirls and moderate scratches out. Again I don't know how abrasive the polishes you're using are. I'm going over each area 3-4 times with moderate pressure with the pc set at 5. The results so far have been incredible, but very time consuming. I've only got the entire driver's side and rear of the car done, and I've probably spent 6 or 7 hours on it! Still got the other half the car and 2 more steps left!!!! I can already tell the results will be worth it though. Have fun!!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend using the white pad with both the #2 and #9 .. secondly .. how are you using it?

how much product at a time?
how big an area are you working?
what speed on the DA?
how much pressure, and how fast are you moving across the work area ?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I would recommend using the white pad with both the #2 and #9 .. secondly .. how are you using it?

how much product at a time?
how big an area are you working?
what speed on the DA?
how much pressure, and how fast are you moving across the work area ?
I place an X pattern on the pad and only work a 2 x 2 area. I am using only about 3.5 to 4 for speed and not placing much pressure at all. I am also thinking of trying Meguiars #1 with the yellow pad to see if this will produce a better result. But, I am afraid this may be to aggressive with this pad/polish combo.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 Purple TA
I place an X pattern on the pad and only work a 2 x 2 area. I am using only about 3.5 to 4 for speed and not placing much pressure at all. I am also thinking of trying Meguiars #1 with the yellow pad to see if this will produce a better result. But, I am afraid this may be to aggressive with this pad/polish combo.
ok .. first off .. I missed this earlier .. #2 is recommend for use with a Rotary only, not a DA (the new formula is ok to use with a DA, but I have not had the best results with it).. (#1 is rotary only)

Try #83 or # 80 instead, you will like the results better with a DA. (if the #9 is not doing the job, although using 2 applications of #9 is acceptable)

As for speed, use 4.5 to 5.

Pressure .. that is a hard thing to describe over the net, but you need to put some moderate pressure on the DA to make it break down the product and work correctly. don't just use it to spread the product out . you have to break the product down to get it to work properly.

if you are going to use Meg's products, hop over to their online forum, and read the info under the G-100 Dual Action Polisher thread. there is some good info over there, and you can read it without registering, although I would recommend it.

Last edited by Gipraw; 05-08-2006 at 03:51 PM.