General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Conventional to Synthetic to Conventional with the oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Conventional to Synthetic to Conventional with the oil

My sister has a little V6 Stang and I did the nice thing and drove it to our local oil changing place to have the oil change.

I put conventional motor oil in it and she stated that she has had synthetic in it at all times since she bought it. Furthermore my father says that switching oils is bad for the car. I feel retarded to ask this, but I have never heard of such a thing. Does it matter if you switch the oils? Thanks.

W
Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the oils are compatible with each other, so it should cause no ill effects.
People switch oils either accidently or on purpose all the time (think used car, who knows what type of oil was in there before you bought it)
Old 05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

does not matter...all oils these days are compatible.....the syn.oil was still sticking to parts anyways, unless the engine is flushed......alot of talk about oil....this is not 1975 anymore...any name brand is fine..whether it be syn or conventional. People get so worked up on a particular oil...take a look at different racing divisions...that would mean ALL teams except a certain couple are using the lesser stuff. Rant,Rant,Rant......
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Danka, Y'all.

W
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default auburn diff.

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
does not matter...all oils these days are compatible.....the syn.oil was still sticking to parts anyways, unless the engine is flushed......alot of talk about oil....this is not 1975 anymore...any name brand is fine..whether it be syn or conventional. People get so worked up on a particular oil...take a look at different racing divisions...that would mean ALL teams except a certain couple are using the lesser stuff. Rant,Rant,Rant......
auburn's web site tells you not to use syn gear oil in diff. so some things don't change with the times. imo.