Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA Safety... Help me Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NHRA Safety... Help me Please!!!

I need to know what I need to legally race under NHRA specs for 10.00 - 11.49...

04 Pontiac GTO, Procharger, Nitrous, 408

Ok... I my car is at the shop getting the 6pt. cage installed right now.

What do i need for a fire jacket? what safety rating?
What kind of harness do I need? 5pt?
Do I need a full fire suit?

Basically I need to know exactly what I need to get to not get kicked off the track.

And please if you have suggestions for brands tell me. I am thinking a Simpson jacket, and Simpson Camlock Harness

Also I need a link to the NHRA site to order an NHRA rule book.

Thanks

I need to know this stuff ASAP so I can get it all ordered I am tired of getting warned at the track everytime.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 pt bar, helmet, fire jacket is about it.
Procharger AND nitrous?? Once that thing is dialed in you'll need to up your safety and get a liscense.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:03 AM
7 Second Club

Only a 5-point bar is required (only the driver door bar, but some add passenger for added stiffness), and with a daily driver you may want to consider a swing-out bar. Unless you want to spend double for a camlock harness, I'd just get a regular 5-point harness (especially b/c you'll be replacing it every 2 years). Helmet is by choice, but I've used HJC and Beiffe and had good success, and they are not as expensive as a Simpson, but matter of preference. I think jacket would be 3.2/1, and there are good from 11.49 to 10.00 in a coupe/t-top car.

NHRA web site: www.nhra.com

Any more questions, let me know as I have a rule book and race quite often!

Derek
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you also need in addition to what was mentioned, steel valve stems (rims), SFI approved balancer and flexplate.

Last edited by koolrayz; 05-11-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you expect the combo to go in the 9's at all? Whole different safety ball game in the 9's
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

I am doing the 6 pt to add the stiffness all the way around and yes the door bars will both be removable. I already have a SHOEI helmet, so I am good there. Now I just need to get my jacket and harness I guess.

And yes this car is street driven, thats a big part of my overall goal. Keep this car on the street while being a fun fast track car as well.

And if the car ever does get into the 9s great, but if not I am not worried. I may not end up with nitrous on the car unless I need it to push me over teh edge into 9second territory. I will build another car when I feel like my driving ability is up to the task of running 9s, and that car will have a TH400... no more manual when I start going that fast.