Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOng.. Got my car back :) baseline tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOng.. Got my car back :) baseline tune

Well Got my 228r @ 112 from tsp put in, as well with about 15 other mods, check the sig.. before this it had mac mid's borla, ssra, lid, pro 5.0

I have had to baby it the past couple of days, did the 3 cycles of cooling for the gears, and finally took it out for its for light abuse

When I picked up the car, I had what I guess is that soft sewing machine sound on the cam. I was a little unhappy about it, thinking damn I hope this doesn't keep it up.. but oh well I'll get used to it.

Nice to say, its gone now The car needs a tune, it tends to want to surge and boggle in first-third when under 1500 rpms. Over that it drives like a champ. When I first get it started it also has really low battery/alt readings.. usually *damn can;t remember the numbers now* it is in the red and barely cycles up to the `13 I think when I give it a lil gas. The car will try and stall and cut-out on me and is pretty embarassing.

Maybe the idle needs raising I dunno. But once she is going, the juice is good even with the stereo going, lights on and a/c. At the lights nothing dims and everythign is ok. It only stalls/dies on me when I first get it started.

Smething I can live with the next 12 days or so which is when I get it dyno-tuned.

But wow, does the car have some ***** now.. 20mph roll.. in 1st, smash the gas and its like bye bye tireds and hold the hell on

Highway, cruising at 60, in 4th, it pulls soo hard.. I was too scared to try 3rd cause I haven't redlined first thru 4th yet to see what speed to shift or when its safe to downshift to play..

The noise.. haha omg is it loud. It doesn't sound quite as deep as the old mac mids did for some reason. The popping that I used to get when decelerating and so on is gone completely. Its a very clean mean sound. The drone is considerably louder in the cabin *cockpit haha*. At highway speeds of 70-80mph in 6th it is still considerably louder than the mac mids I had.

I know you are gonna laugh at me, but I have yet to sit back behind the car running and listen to it idle.. but I love its little lopeyness at the light..

Handling.. omg.. wow night and day.. no body roll at all.. just sticks.. now I know how people end up wrapping these around trees at 100 Feels like I could take a 90* turn at 60 easily lol.

Absolutely no noise from the gears. Well if there is any noise, I can;t hear it over the exhaust.

At low speeds over bumps.. I do get some harsh rattles.. I don;t think its from the headers or Y, but it could be.. they said they had taken care of the exhaust rattles.. but I am wondering if it might be the Borla cause it sounds "way" back there.. I did get the LCA's with the chrome moly or whatever linkages instead of the poly ones. I somehow think that might be what it causing it. It isnt a huge concern..

After tonights drive around you could have hit my forhead and snapped half my head off Widest grin I have had on my face in some time..

Would like to thank everyone in the various posts and forums whose advice helped me put the silly car together.

If I ever get a new cord or memory card for my camera or get a new camera Ill try and post some pics.. but the car doesnt look much different than most black ta's with a hood

Old 05-13-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on the new power. I can't tell if you're happy though
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I see you didn't have subframe connectors installed? Any reason?

Be careful with those 4.10's in the 10-bolt, you're grin would turn over really fast should they decide to shread themselves.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait til you get heads! The rattling/banging you hear going over bumps *may* be the LCA's not being tightened in enough.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

I have the SLp DD SFC's, bolt ons but whicher were bolted then welded

Im very happy witht he new power. Took it out again for a lil cruise.. I don;t know when the power stops hehe. The damn thing is sooo loud as it goes into WOT im a little nervous to play though cause im like, damn even a cop with his windows up will hear me hehe.

Ok, ill ask them to check the lca's when I go back for a tuning. Think I will also switch to the smallest borla plate. I'm pretty sure I got the dual rod ends on my lca's which I hear can cause some of the noise. But I had heard that the dual Poly ended ones aren't good for cornering.

Overall Im shitfaced grinning happy I know it hasn;t been fully tuned, and Jeff @ CAM does great work. Just wanted to blab out my first impressions Dying to find out the dyno numbers.. and then to finally get it to a track and see if it's times are what I wanted.