Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a MAFT(translator) or MAF ends to help lean my car out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a MAFT(translator) or MAF ends to help lean my car out?

Here's the deal: My 2002 Z28 currently has a lid & cat-back as my only modifications and was running somewhat rich on the dyno. My A/F ratio was 12-12.1 and I was told that my car would make some more power with the A/F ratio in the low 13 area. So in order to lean out my car a little, should I just by a MAFT to adjust the A/F ratio a little or should I just throw some MAF ends on and hope that leans me out and gains some more power? I do NOT want to have to buy both and I'm leaning torwards the translator since it allows me to tune some. BTW, dyno #'s were 323rwhp & 342rwtq SAE corrected at Speed Inc.

Mike
Old 12-19-2002, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Should I get a MAFT(translator) or MAF ends to help lean my car out?

I say port & descreen your stock maf and buy the MAFT.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Should I get a MAFT(translator) or MAF ends to help lean my car out?

There is no reason to port or descreen your MAF if you have translator. Any gains would be negligible and not worth the hassle if you did attempt to dyno tune the car down the road. The translator will get you what you want by itself.

Tim
Old 12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tim Sloper:
<strong>There is no reason to port or descreen your MAF if you have translator. Any gains would be negligible and not worth the hassle if you did attempt to dyno tune the car down the road. The translator will get you what you want by itself.

Tim</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you. I plan on leaving the stock MAF sensor alone and just tuning the A/F ratio with the MAF translator which should net me a decent gain in power. I'll throw the car back on the dyno in the spring as soon as it comes out of storage.

Mike