Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good heat shield (cutouts too hot)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a good heat shield (cutouts too hot)

I pulled out my carpet, seats, spare, jack, etc etc. I have a cutout located right underneath my rear passenger seat (or where it used to be). It gets SO hot. My CD case actually melted to it. I am wanting to put my backseats back in since the weight is very negligable, but I don't want to burn any passengers. What would be a good heat shield to put underneath it?

Also, I plan on running my SLP LTs and SLP ORY with a bullet muffler at the end of the Y-pipe without a catback. Will it still be getting hot or will the bullet direct the heat downwards? If its still going to get hot, let me know a good heat shield. I'll just wait to see where the hotspot is. Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I pulled out my carpet, seats, spare, jack, etc etc. I have a cutout located right underneath my rear passenger seat (or where it used to be). It gets SO hot. My CD case actually melted to it. I am wanting to put my backseats back in since the weight is very negligable, but I don't want to burn any passengers. What would be a good heat shield to put underneath it?

Also, I plan on running my SLP LTs and SLP ORY with a bullet muffler at the end of the Y-pipe without a catback. Will it still be getting hot or will the bullet direct the heat downwards? If its still going to get hot, let me know a good heat shield. I'll just wait to see where the hotspot is. Thanks
Good idea! I read how one guy's car caught on fire. No joke.

His situation....leaky pinion seal + open cutout = grease fire! His interior went up in flames too!

A lot of the larger vendors sell all sorts of stuff to contain exhaust heat. Take a look on Summit, for example.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT THIS

What did you end up coming up with?? Any pics?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the cutout pointed down? I had one on my car and noticed it got really hot, then I slanted it down some more and it was fine