LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

all thread rods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all thread rods?

I posted yesterday about bit stripped balancer threads and a hub installer... From what I got the best way to get the hub on the crank is to thread in a all thread rod and use a washer/bearing and a nut to push it onto the crank. As of right now i've pretty much called or been to every single place in this area (and I live in the suburbs of chicago, so thats a lot of places) and the only thing I have found in threaded rods is a 7/16-14 rod (course threads). Absolutely no one carries a 7/16-20 (fine thread) rod. (to come to think of it I couldn't find any size threaded rod in a fine thread)...

Is there somewhere online I might be able to buy one of these threaded rods in this size? I'd be willing to wait a bit to get it through shipping if anyone can find one of these, because I haven't had to much luck with trying to find somewhere that would ship out just one threaded rod in that size.. Anyone know for sure if they even make it?
Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Not sure if this will help but some of the Auto Zones or Advanced Auto Parts stores have these that you can use.(You pay for the installer and they refund your money when you return it. No Charge) I believe you would ask for a Harmonic Balancer Installer.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I already rented one of those and it didn't work.... the threads from the installer aren't even long enough to get through the crank hub. The only installer that I know of that would work is the "J tool" kent moore "official LT1 hub installer" which is the one listed in the service manual. The problem being that the cheapest I found that installer/remover is $315 which is a straight up rip off for what it is.

The only thing I could think of that would work that wouldn't be using the crank threads to pull the hub on is a threaded rod that would thread into the crank and then I could use a washer or bearing and a nut to push the hub on (kind of like with a normal installer).. Problem being finding a rod like this size seems impossible to find.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:21 PM
8 Second Club

McMaster Carr has it. they are located in Elmhurst and you can pick it up at will call. www.mcmastercarr.com

When I install my hub I usually put it in the oven for 10 mins at 350*makes the job alot easier.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z8'S
McMaster Carr has it. they are located in Elmhurst and you can pick it up at will call. www.mcmastercarr.com

When I install my hub I usually put it in the oven for 10 mins at 350*makes the job alot easier.
I was just about to suggest McMaster Carr. They have everything!

-Matt
Old 05-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z8'S

yeah, i've heard of this method of doing it but i'm not too sure my p's are gonna be too cool about me cooking up a crankshaft hub in the oven, lol.

Quick Reply: all thread rods?