Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swap plugs- then misses/surges at idle??!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap plugs- then misses/surges at idle??!

like stated, i swapped out my tr6's gapped at .38 to some autolite 103's gapped at .34. start it up fine and everything, then after driving it to dinner i noticed it was idling funny.

it started out only when in Drive, it would idle fine then miss once like once cylinder misfired, then idle fine for a few seconds then miss again etc... my logical thought was plug wires- so i went out and wasted ++$ on a new set but no dice.

it actually starts surging if i let it idle long enough, and stalled once. WTF?

i pulled a few of the plugs and they look perfect.

my plan is to pick up another set of tr6's, and take off the isc motor and clean it.

it HAS to be the plugs though!!? my converter actually wouldn't lock up after a few wot runs- and after i restarted the car it locked up fine which means i was getting enough misfires that the computer wouldn't let it lock up. this was before i replaced the wires btw.

TIA! i hate stupid problems like this, it could be 1000 things...
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Sure none of the plugs got cracks in the ceramic? Its easy on our cars because of the angle and space we have to install them.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

nevermind- fixed it. i pulled the plugs when installing the tr6's i just bought and found that i had gapped them closer to .30-.32, one was even .28 . i used a feeler gauge which i thought was more accurate but i guess i didn't use it right.

swapped in the tr6's @ .35 and all is good- just like it was beforehand. figured i'd post the results for anybody with a similar problem.