Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Warning! do not go to rev it up motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warning! do not go to rev it up motorsports

my buddy finished up his 2003 SRT-4. We added a upgraded turbo kit (50trim) fuel system and some other odds and ends. The car pulls (aka: fries tire) like crazy. Took it down to a place recommened by a guy around here called "rev it up motorpsports" located in philly. To start it off, this place is in one of the shadiest places ever. On some ghetoo back alley. Got the car on there dyno. first pull... 100hp, 106tq. WTF! this thing made 260 on the stock turbo!! second pull, same thing, third pull.... The car goes through the gears, they punch it and around 3500rpm's, the car goes straight to redline. They tell us that the clutch blew and it would cost 300 to replace. That sounded VERy strange. We drove the car home and something was weird.. No clutch slippage. So we beat on it a little, nothing.. no slip at all. Punch it hard throgh 4th gear, nothing but tire spin. We got back home and watched the tape of the car on the dyno. Its very very shady how the guys were actin when it happened. Took the car to exotic in pottstown, picked it up.. def nothing wrong with the clutch at all. The place really tried to screw my buddy over! Just a warning for you guys.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

i would go back and punch them in their face
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.. what a bunch of jerks.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

They probably put the clutch in and that's why the revs flew up hence their "rev it up" title for their shop
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

He'll like that 50trim though. My buddy has that setup on his car, put down 408whp/440tq on the dyno. Sounds like that shop has their head up their ***.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is it called rev it up or rip you off motorsports.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Hey Kevin just to let you know. We now work on those cars. We also handle WRX's, Evos, Skylines, Supras, B16 Honda motors, etc. We have an AEM certified tuner here.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

I saw a blue SRT4 rocking thier sticker in the side window, which I promptly blew the doors off of over in Philly (we were both stock at the time.. christmas)

good to know, there are a couple SRT4's in my local club.

thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they were having trouble with the dyno last time i heard. dont be so quick to judge someone if you dont know them personally. they just diaged wrong...be glad that there really wasnt a clutch problem and chalk it up.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Teching In

i had to sign up when i read this. i read a local car site everynow and then and ive heard so much **** about this place. One thread was designated to all the complaints about them.

One guy (owned and srt) told how he dropped his car off to get something installed and when he got it back they had switched some of his bolt ons for old used ones. when he brought it back they said they must of put back the wrong parts even though the part he was getting installed had nothing to do with his intake and various other parts that were replaced even needing to be touched.

One kid i know went there for a boost gauge and was told he needed almost 1k more in supporting mods to up his boost which was complete bullshit.

thank god i dont own one of those cars or have to deal with those places
Old 05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Teching In

just an FYI from another local site, mixed opinions i guess?

http://www.srtsyndicate.com/showthread.php?t=4897
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

no the kid defintely had all the stuff he needed to run higher boost. he just wanted a different boost gauge or controller and was posting how he was told he needed all these parts he didnt. i dunno just thought id share, i found it on www.srt4mation.com
Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fireHAWKer99
no the kid defintely had all the stuff he needed to run higher boost. he just wanted a different boost gauge or controller and was posting how he was told he needed all these parts he didnt. i dunno just thought id share, i found it on www.srt4mation.com
I just wanted to get on here and maybe get the chance to defend our shop.

The night the guy came in with the yellow srt the first thing we did is a boost leak check. We found some leakage in the fuel injectors, which is common when replacing the stock injectors with upgrades, and we realigned the fuel rail to compensate for the new 750's. Then we took out the spark plugs and regapped them down to .028 in order to handle the extra boost, also a common problem when you want to push 25+ psi through that motor. After that we strapped the car down and got ready to run. On the first pass the car wouldn't even accel. after the turbo spooled up because the AFC was set to all 0's. Ray then had to start dialing in the afc until the car would actually go through a full pass. Once we did this, and the car would actually try to pull cleanly through the band, the car went to about 3800 rpms then immediatly bounced off the rev limiter. We let the car cool down for several minutes and tried again. Same thing. Then Ray asked me to operate the car to verify the problem, and as I watched the tach it again went straight to the limiter as soon as the boost came up. I have an SRT myself and I have had this same problem on a different dyno with a clutch I was trying to run that wasn't holding up to the power. On the street everything seemed fine, but on the dyno or on a pair of slicks, the clutch just wouldn't hold.

We never said the clutch blew, and I even instructed him on how to try and deglaze the clutch by engauging and disengauging the clutch at speed. Since the clutch wouldn't stop slipping there wasn't anything else I could do. He only had 400 miles on the new clutch, and I didn't want to continue beating on it if all it was doing was slipping.

We charged him $70 for fiddling with his injectors and rail, setting his plugs, and starting the tune on the AFC. I even told him that when he put a few more miles on the car he could come back and we would take care of him on the price of tuning.

I have had 600+ ft/lb trans ams, 500+hp neons, and 500+ hp mustangs on the dyno with no problems.

I'm sorry that we weren't successful in tuning the car, but I will not road tune a car because of liability issues. I don't feel that we screwed anyone on this deal. If I felt like we wouldn't have been able to tune the car I would have been up front and told you that, but with 100+ cars under our belt to date, I don't think it was a matter of knowledge.

I'm the new guy here, so i'm sure that my credibility isn't what I would like it to be in order to have people trust what i'm doing or what I have to say, but at least understand that the car left in a little better condition then it came in, and I don't feel that saying we screwed someone is a fair shake.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Hey Kevin just to let you know. We now work on those cars. We also handle WRX's, Evos, Skylines, Supras, B16 Honda motors, etc. We have an AEM certified tuner here.
Maybe we can talk shop. We've already been toying with the HPTuners suite for the ecotec, maybe we can get together sometime.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Teching In

well its good to get a response
Old 05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fireHAWKer99
well its good to get a response
Hey, i've always been more of an enthusiast then a shop owner, but I can tell you that I would NEVER put used parts on a car unless someone brought those parts to me to install.

As for the 1k in mods, when someone wants to up the boost past 16psi on the stock car, we always recommend a fuel system and some sort of air/fuel controller. You can take the car past 16psi without them, but you are not going to get as much timing or performance and you will be walking a thin line maxing out the stock injectors and fuel system. However, it is always a suggestion, and I would never force someone to buy anything. I only make recomendations based on my expirience with the SRT.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Tiny: I have the HPT suite also. We do use the AEM for a lot of import applications. I'm waiting for HPT to become available for the Dodges and Fords, that will be sweet!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Tiny: I have the HPT suite also. We do use the AEM for a lot of import applications. I'm waiting for HPT to become available for the Dodges and Fords, that will be sweet!
We'll have to meet up sometime. I'm really impressed with the power of this unit and all the possibilities.

Dude, HPT for dodge!!!! Now that would be fun.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

werid stuff...
I'd like to hear the OP chime back inbefore I make any asumptions.

Matt what do you use for Hondas just AEM? I run crome and love it
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
werid stuff...
I'd like to hear the OP chime back inbefore I make any asumptions.

Matt what do you use for Hondas just AEM? I run crome and love it

I'll give you that. Like I said, my credibility on this forum is only hearsay for now. I hope that this gets worked out, not just for our credibility, but also so the guys car gets sorted out.