General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC problems....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problems....

Here's the story...

Today I am sitting in traffic waiting, at a stop, with my AC fully cranked. Suddenly my car tremors slighly, just enough for me to notice over my music, and then the air flow decreases and becomes warm. Then the car dies. I put it in N and restart it, only for it to come to life for a second and die again. Using my brain I decide to turn off the AC, and the car has no further issues...

Upon further inspection, and numerous trials, whenever the AC is engaged it kills the car, physically... I found out that the Compressor is locked up or something and will not turn, and therefore when the AC is engaged at an Idle, it kills the car, or slips the belt a little (did this once and i freaked and shut it off!)

My question is this...

How hard is it to replace the Compressor? Cost? and is this a scenario that anyone else is familiar with? I haven't heard of peoples AC just locking up...

The funny thing is, it hasn't been acting up or anything, its been running good... Just happened...

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Resident

Generally replacing compressors is not hard but you need to either have or borrow a vacuum and a set of gauges. Your also gonna need oil and freon.

Someone will come in here with a more detailed post, if not Ill write one up later.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i have all the equiptment to do that. I have a vacuum pump, a set of guages, and i can go get some frion. How much does the whole system take? and how much oil? I forget... had to replace the condenser once too...

damn ac...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know the specs for our cars, sorry.