LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

where to tap into for water,oil,trans temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to tap into for water,oil,trans temp

I am getting some aftermarket oil,trans, and water temp gauges. Where can I tap into on the LT1 to read each of these? Just in case I bought 2 weld in bungs. I was thinking of tapping into the tranny pan and oil pan.
But what about the water temp?
Any other ideas?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the oil and trans temp gauges. My oil pan had a plug in it for the temp sender so I used that no problem. I tried putting an adaptor in the drain plug hole on the trans pan for that sender but it leaked. I guess I am going to have to drill it out and braze it. Those are about your only options on those. The water could be problematic. I would be hesitant tapping into the waterpump but you could probably be ok tapping into one of the inlets/outlets. The factory temperature gauge in the cluster runs off the sensor on the driver side head between the 1 and 3 cylinders. Maybe you could try and just hook up your sender wire into the factory wiring.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

oil temp can be taken from in the block above the oil filter adapter, Im not sure if your guys oil filter adapters have an extra port, but you can tap in there too if you have it.

Trans temp, the easiest place that does measure temp fairly accurate is the pressure test port on the driver's side of the transmission

Old 05-19-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Ah! Did not know that! Will my 700r4 have this port? I've been dreading the trans temp gauge install.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

yes 700r4 will have this port
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I see it on the pic and everything but if you don't care, can you give me ballpark directions on where to find this? What it's next to or something. IE: so many inches behind the trans pan, just to the left of the servo something like that. It might be really obvious, I don't know, I haven't looked yet. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Scammer Alert!

oil pressure just buy a T and take off your stock oil pressure sensor and reader from behind the intake manifold and then the compression fitting that comes with the guage line set will screw straight onto the T

water temp..just take out the plug and sensor on the drivers side of the block under the headers and use that hole..that just goes to your guages and has no reference to the computer the guage will just not work
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I see it on the pic and everything but if you don't care, can you give me ballpark directions on where to find this? What it's next to or something. IE: so many inches behind the trans pan, just to the left of the servo something like that. It might be really obvious, I don't know, I haven't looked yet. Thanks in advance.
Its on the drivers side above the gear selector on the transmission
Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camaroz2866
oil pressure just buy a T and take off your stock oil pressure sensor and reader from behind the intake manifold and then the compression fitting that comes with the guage line set will screw straight onto the T
He wanted to know about oil temp. not pressure.

Quick Reply: where to tap into for water,oil,trans temp