Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Diagnosing a Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Diagnosing a Problem!!

First off, Im going to give you a little background information before I list the actual problem. Maybe this background can help with diagnosing the problem.

A few weeks ago, my O2 sensors went out giving that horrible missing and gurgling that we all know comes with bad 02s. So I decided that I would unplug the O2s and let it run rich for a little less than a week, until I recieved my paycheck to get two new ones.

Well I finally got my two new O2s and re-wired them like I had my others to be long enough for my longtubes. I really started too late that night and finally got them in. It was late and I basically just put them in very fast without taking my time and making sure it was done right. Well it seemed to be okay, good idling, and sometimes when I would be at like 55 and start giving it gas, it would feel like it was cutting out, then I would have to give it more gas and finally it would start going faster. I figured it was really no big deal and that the computer was probably re-learning.

Well the next day a hard rain came and my car started acting HORRIBLE. Felt like the O2s were bad again. So I got it back to the house and jacked it up again. I looked under the car and seen that neither O2 was screwed in correctly and water had gotten to the O2 sensors. So I got the O2s out and brought them in the house and let them dry there. No wiping or anything. Just air-dry.

So not only did I let them air-dry but I decided to wire them again, this time I had plenty of time and made sure it was perfect. So I put them back in the car and decided to take a little drive in it. I started up the car and everything was fine. Then as soon as the engine got warm it started again, but this time with a different problem. When I would stop at a stop light, if the RPMs would go below 1000 rpms, it would start missing, just like with the O2s. When I would give it gas out of a stop-light, it would just miss all the way through first gear, and then second gear it would stop. It would also be fine while driving on the highway. It only happens when I stop at a stoplight, or if I go around a corner and the rpms drop to or below 1000rpms.

This has had me stumped for a while now, and I just cant figure out what the problem is. It wont miss from a light if I nail it hard. Ive wondered if I could have messed up something letting it run rich for that week with no O2s.

If anyone can diagnose this problem or even send me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
Old 01-06-2003, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Need Help Diagnosing a Problem!!

Almost forgot. Car is 1998 A4 Trans Am. Has 100K miles on it. Has a ST3500, Lid, Hooker Longtubes, and Custom straight through exhaust, no muffler..
Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a couple of bad connectors when I extended my front O2's, and that was giving me the ses. They were working intermitintly as seen by atap. Are you sure that the wire configuration is correct. If you have a wire crossed then your O2 output could be way off. You would have to scan it and see what the O2 reading are to get any kind of help. Otherwise they are just guesses.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re-wire o2's?? That would be the first place i'd look. Cant you just use harness extendtions?? The o2 harness on sensor side is not meant to be sliced, & any splicing in the pcm's harness has to be perfect> no resistance, due to the low voltages & amperage that the pcm monitiors on the o2 circuits.