Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Help out plz!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help out plz!

i could really use some serious help. my car is running terribly. when i drive the car normally(like just barely accelerating, treating it right) it is fine, but when i drop to a lower gear(to go up a hill, or begin to pass somone) it stutters very very badly then kicks out of the stutter and resumes like nothing happened. also, when i floor it, it stutters very bad and you can hear a very loud clicking sound comming from the drivers side of the engine. i was told to change the plugs, and give it a tune up, by the guys at merlin. i just relaced all the plugs and wires, and also did the oil change. i triple checked all the plugs to make sure they were gapped properly, at .050, and triple checked to make sure all the wires were installed properly. thius did not fix the problem, it only shut off my check engine soon light.

also, if you put your hand near the exhaust you can feel **** comming out of it, this **** is oily and gets all over the back of my car, i thought it might be my cats so i took it to merlin and they told me it was not, they were fine.

so basically i dont know what the hell the problem is, any thoughts? possibly the opti??

specs on car
1997 A4 SS LT1
stock cats, loudmouth exhaust

plugs are ac delco rapidfire
wires are ac delco

maybe outlaw can fix me up???
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
i could really use some serious help. my car is running terribly. when i drive the car normally(like just barely accelerating, treating it right) it is fine, but when i drop to a lower gear(to go up a hill, or begin to pass somone) it stutters very very badly then kicks out of the stutter and resumes like nothing happened. also, when i floor it, it stutters very bad and you can hear a very loud clicking sound comming from the drivers side of the engine. i was told to change the plugs, and give it a tune up, by the guys at merlin. i just relaced all the plugs and wires, and also did the oil change. i triple checked all the plugs to make sure they were gapped properly, at .050, and triple checked to make sure all the wires were installed properly. thius did not fix the problem, it only shut off my check engine soon light.

also, if you put your hand near the exhaust you can feel **** comming out of it, this **** is oily and gets all over the back of my car, i thought it might be my cats so i took it to merlin and they told me it was not, they were fine.

so basically i dont know what the hell the problem is, any thoughts? possibly the opti??

specs on car
1997 A4 SS LT1
stock cats, loudmouth exhaust

plugs are ac delco rapidfire
wires are ac delco

maybe outlaw can fix me up???
I would guess the opti, they are notorious for going bad.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might be a catalytic converter possibly... I know those can cause sluggishness.

Quick Reply: Help out plz!