Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ARP lube question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ARP lube question

I didn't get any ARP Moly lube with my ARP head bolts and I don't think any stores carry it around here.
I do have some Permatex Assembly lube, is that basically the same stuff?
I didn't really want to use 30wt oil.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to say, as the ARP torque specs are for specific use with their lube. If that assembly lube is any lighter/heavier it will obviously change the specs a bit. I'd just order a tub of the ARP lube from TR and do it right. Or if you are in a rush, use the 30wt oil and follow their alternate torque specs. I just don't see a reason to guess on this sort of thing. You could also call up ARP and see what they say about using other assembly lubes, if they have any advice on that.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, and ARP might be able to point you to a local vender if you need it quickly. Turns out one of the local parts places near me had it in stock.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I started looking up what was so special about Moly Lube. I started looking around and I'm pretty sure that the moly stands for Molybdenum disulfide. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide
It supposedly works under HIGH pressure where most other lubricants would break down. I'm definitely don't want oil in my block head bolt threads either.

I had oil in my old rocker arm bolt threads in my old heads and it broke down the aluminum. When I pulled the rocker bolts, a few threads came out with the bolt. Granted there was more oil in them than I'd have in the head bolts but it goes to show what oil can do to the threads. I'm waiting till I can get the Moly lube because the Permatex stuff doesn't have the molybdenum disulfide in it.