Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mid legnth headers and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mid legnth headers and emissions

I live in cali, will mid lenght header pass emission test? why wont long tubes pass emissions, is it because of the visual or because of the header themselves? How can I gain hp over stock and still pass emissions, I was think of mac mid lenght header, then catted y and corsa catcack...Will this setup pass emissions?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid-length and longtube headers are both illegal visually because they relocate the cats further from the engine. This makes them less effective. Legally you can only install a shorty header that comes with a CARB # in CA. If you can find a way to get past the visual, longtubes will pass the sniffer with cats.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Teching In

thats all im wanting to know, cause ill get Lts, all that matters if it paases the sniffer, Most shope around here dont really check, all they are if it passes the sniffer. so Lts and catted Y will pass sniffer?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1tuboplan
thats all im wanting to know, cause ill get Lts, all that matters if it paases the sniffer, Most shope around here dont really check, all they are if it passes the sniffer. so Lts and catted Y will pass sniffer?
you will probably need to get a tune if you go w/ lt's to pass the sniffer
Old 05-24-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Get a tune, and I think you should be good.

A thing to consider: There have been reports that THE MAN have yanked cars, for running around with illegal parts on cars, and issue still fines. We' re talking towing the car to an impound yard, and like $1000+ in fines. Of course, I have had friends get pulled over, and the cop not even looking the car over either. I don' t know what agenda California law enforcement has, in this respect, but, I imagine unless you are driving "agressively" and are asking for attention, then maybe you will be okay. I take that chance, and think and worry about this everytime I get in the car. I will likely pull them, until I can get another daily driver, once I can pull an 11' out of this car.

I agree that shorties are useless and mid-lengths are illegal though. If you just wanna' say " I have headers " than I suppose they will fulfill that, but, I would consider another mod instead. If you have an A4, get a stall and some tires. Otherwise, get a good catback. You won' t have a problem with emissions with either of those.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know if this will help

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Well the biggest issue is in CA moving the CATS is illegal and you’ll fail a visual inspection with any form of LT or Mid length header.

Lt’s and a Catted Y ‘should’ pass a sniffer test but it’s risky, especially if you want a “pull me over” exhaust as well.

Shortie headers should be ok, but to be fully legal they need to be CARB approved.

AIR – This uses a small air pump and pumps outside air into the exhaust. It generally runs for 20 seconds or so at start up. It is there to help promote a chemical reaction in the CATS making them more efficient to pass the start up emissions standards. The AIR system costs you ZERO HP.

EGR – This is exhaust gas recirculation, basically a small amount of inert gas (i.e. exhaust) gas is fed from the exhaust back to the intake manifold. This helps reduce PEAK combustion temperatures which in turn reduce Nox emissions. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) the EGR system is deactivated, so it costs you ZERO HP and no loss to performance.

If you went with Lt’s you’ll need the ‘emissions’ ones as opposed to the ‘race’ ones. The only difference being the fittings for AIR/EGR. There is no performance difference.

Personally I don’t think I’d run the risk of running Lt’s in CA, but the choice is yours to make.

Most of the HP gain to be had from the exhaust comes from scavenging. Lt’s are the only option for this. Flow rate has little affect on a n/a motor. The stock manifolds flow fairly well although the 2001-2 model year received better flowing headers. Shorties will outflow the stock ones but they don’t scavenge and as the stock ones are already flowing sufficiently then most people don’t see much gain with them, typically 2-5rwhp.

Making big power in CA is not easy, especially in n/a form. Forced Induction (FI) would be the best bet, but it’s also pricey. Shortie headers will actually work as well as LT’s on a blown application, this is because scavenging doesn’t take place in an FI application and flow rate is more important, in this instance

If you’re sticking n/a then I think you would be better off looking at a different setup:
-lid
-FTRA
-ported TB and LS6 intake
or
-FAST 90 intake and Nick Williams 90mm TB
-Lightweight flywheel
-Pulleys
-Electric water pump
-Good catback and high flow cats
-And a cam, some thing emissions legal. I think the Thunder Racing CheaTR cam might work

If you wanted you could add shorties to the list, just to complete the setup but I doubt you’d see much gain in HP.

I would also seriously consider some nitrous with all the safety features, anywhere from a 100-150 shot.

Also gears and if auto a stall.

By not getting LT’s and ORY it will give you almost enough money for the cam and install kit.

As for catbacks, well it’s very much personal taste. If you’re on a budget perhaps look at 2nd hand as well as new ones?

If you want loud then the SLP Loudmouth is certainly a good contended, but be warned it IS loud! The TSP Rumbler is essentially a mild steel Loudmouth with a Dynomax bullet instead of a SLP resonator, again it will be loud. With either of these systems you could always swap the muffler with a different bullet (Borla, Maganflow) to achieve a different tone.

Hooker is cheap but generally accepted as pretty quiet. The Maganflow flows very well but again is not the loudest of setups. GMMG is pricey but very nice and loud also. Borla and Corsa are pretty expensive too and are not to everyone’s tastes.

Check out www.ls1sounds.com for sound clips.

TSP also offer the Rumbler X duals, these dump before the axle and are LOUD but sound excellent. They may a sensible option if you decide against the Lt’s and ORY. Failing that a custom dual exhaust shouldn’t be that expensive.

Personally I’d stay clear of the Flowmaster, it’s cheap but doesn’t flow great.