Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Rear brake install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange Rear brake install

In the process of installing my strange rear breaks. Got the point where I need to space out the calipers. One side took 4 shims per bolt, and the other side looks like its going to take 5 shims per bolt to get it centered.

How important is it to get it perfectly centered?

Where can I get some more machined shims like those provided?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xssive
One side took 4 shims per bolt, and the other side looks like its going to take 5 shims per bolt to get it centered.

How important is it to get it perfectly centered?
If i remember correctly, i battled with mine for awhile trying to get it as perfect as possible. In the end, one side took a different amount of shims than the other. They were not mirrored, but I never noticed a difference. The pads wore fine and everything worked as advertised. If you need more and have time, see if Strange can send yousome more, or just go down to you local hardware store and see what they have. It it is very close but not identical, just place that one inbetween the others. Play with them for awhile and see what you come up with.

As far as perfectly centered goes, I am kin da **** about things and have to have everything square/perfect. In the end, i just had to deal with the fact that they were going to be off slightly on one side. I can't remember what the measurememts came out to, but when i added/moved/replaced a shim, all the measurememnts were still off slightly. I never had a problem mechanically from this... just bothered me knowing it wasn't perfect. With the floating pads, you will still see good wear when used. Just check them regularly as i did for piece of mind and all should be well. Good luck and enjoy your new brakes.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get it as close as you can, pretty sure the shims were just stainless 3/8 flat washers. I dont remember using that many shims on mine though, did you put those spacer rings behind the bearings?

Also make sure and snug a few lugs in the rotors, just pushing them by hand against the axle never works
Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about the spacers that Moser provides with the axles, or the spacer kit from Billingsley? I didnt order the kit from Billingsley thinking that I wouldnt need it. Where does their spacer go and how thick is it? I would think anything behind the bearing would cause it to stick out (not flush with the housing ends) and cause the Strange brake mounting plate to not sit flush.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:13 PM
kp
8 Second Club

The Strange brackets I have had a circle cut out where the bearing goes, you space the bearing out a little and it fits inside the machined out area on the bracket. That way the wheels stay in the same place even with the thinner rotors and it pushes the rotors out a little further. I think I needed only one shim on each to get them pretty well centered. The spacers I got from billingsley were like 1/8" or so. Matter of fact if the spacers werent on there I would think the axle could move around a little, it just goes right between the bearing and the housing end on the inside, its not pressed on the axle or anything.

At least I think thats where those spacers were supposed to go, never had any instructions, just two round spacers the same as the OD of the bearing in a bag and I put them in the only place they seemed to fit

Been on my car for over 200 passes and nothing has fallen off yet
Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Cool thanks KP. That should solve the issues. Those should space the axle out further to center the rotor instead of spacing the caliper back off the bracket.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:38 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by xssive
Cool thanks KP. That should solve the issues. Those should space the axle out further to center the rotor instead of spacing the caliper back off the bracket.
np, good luck with it.