General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Flush....Which Antifreeze Do I Put Back In?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Flush....Which Antifreeze Do I Put Back In?

With 114,000 miles on the clock I figured now is as good as anytime to do a radiator flush and change the upper and lower hoses. Which Antifreeze do you guys reccomend I put back in there. I've read some not so nice things about the dexa-cool stuff that came in the car stock......what's a good alternative?? Also....if I'm going to make this a complete flush of the system...how do I get all that stuff out of the block?? Do I just pressurize it and pump away?? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dexcool. It comes standard in all GM cars for a reason. Just make SURE you don't mix the green stuff and orange dexcool, it will cause problems.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm actually flushing mine soon also as I have to replace my radiator. Do they make a kit for these cars to flush out the cooling system? I remember I bought a Prestone flush kit for my truck that had a T-fitting you put in the heater hose. Then you hooked it up to a garden hose and it flushed all the junk out through the top of your radiator. I was surprised how much junk came out before the water turned clear.

Anything like that for us?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Dont use anything but dexcool. From what ive read on here if you mix any other coolant it will react to the dexcool that you have left in the system (you wont be able to get all of it out), and turn to mud. As far as flushing, I would do a search on here there is also some other web sites.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/coolant.htm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/476478-dex-cool-coolant.html

And i think there are some others around here as well.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Well what I did is took a garden hose and ran water through the radiator while the car was running and it cleaned the radiator out pretty good. I probably flushed it for 2-3 minutes so the thermastat would have time to kick on and let water flush through the block too. Then as about everyone else has said I put a gallon of Dexcool in my radiator and toped it off with water, everytime the thermastat would kick on the water will go down so be sure to keep filling it until full. It should be a 50/50 mix with Dexcool and clean drinkable water though.