General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Shock?

Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Handling/Braking forum. Anyway, I get a loud thud from the rear passenger side of my car whenever hitting a decent sized bump (sounds like something banging against the underside of the car) I had new shocks/struts put in before I stored my car for the winter and this problem is just starting to show up now.
The shocks are the Bilsteins that are revalved for SLP for use in the Bilstein Suspension package for the SS.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

That is one or both of your lower control arms that needs to be tightened up. Gotta love free fixes for something that sounds bad.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a loose lower control arm, and it did what you are describing. just get under there and crank on the bolt!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Excellent news....thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Wow i am glad i randomly just clicked this thread
My car has been doing the same thing for the past week or 2 when i sometimes hit bumps at certain angles or launch really hard i hear a loud pop from my rear drivers side , Almost sounds like a bad shock but me and friend pushed on my car at all angles and the car was silent all you can hear is the gas swooshing around in the tank.
Now i know where else to look
Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

wow I was jsut fixing to post this and lucky me. glad i dotn have to shell out $ for a damn shock.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Teching In

As I recall, I had seen a mention of the 2006 Pontiac GTOs leaving the factory with thin viscosity shock oils. The build date was February 2006, but I have not been able to locate the thread anywhere. If anyone knows where to look for this information please post here! I understand that it was not a recall campaign and my car is affected by this problem on the left front shock. My dealer is not having anything to do with this discussion unless I can show him some reference...